Re: [scrumdevelopment] Digest Number 619

  • David A Barrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2004
      >As a
      >result of the tacit knowledge already built up (and the tight
      >timeframes) it is also generally agreed that throwing additional
      >bodies at the problem is off the table.

      Who's agreed this? Management? The team?

      I would suggest that the first question to be asked is back to upper
      management. That question would be, "How much is meeting these new goals
      worth?" Put a dollar value on it, and then find some way to share that
      with the team to some extent. Then let the team figure out three things:

      1. Is this enough to make it possible or worthwhile to meet the new goals?
      2. How does the team meet the new goals?
      3. How is the team or the team members rewarded for meeting the goals?

      Assuming that O/T is a given (since you can't add new team members), this
      has to be a "one off" situation even though it might span several sprints.
      If this isn't a one off, but rather is expected to continue forever, then
      the "tacit knowledge" argument won't hold water and you need to simply add
      more team members.

      The key here is that the team needs to buy into the whole thing, and they
      are the only people that can put questions 2 and 3 together to come up with
      a plan.

      Dave Barrett,
      Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company