XP Agile Universe '04 - Open Space Invitation
- XP Agile Universe '04 - Open Space Invitation
Keynotes, tutorials, and papers are important, but they're not the real
conference. The real conference happens in the between times - when people
talk, argue, and reflect.
Open Space is a meeting structure designed to capture and focus the energy
and spontaneity of these emergent conversations. Come join us at the XP
Agile Universe Open Space, and help explore the question,
"How little can we do, and still build great software?"
WHEN AND WHERE
- XP Agile Universe '04
- August 15-18, 2004
- Hyatt Regency Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Open Space is part of the XP Agile Universe '04 the conference - if you're
registered for the conference, you're welcome at the Open Space. See
www.xpuniverse.com to register now!
The opening session is from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM, on Sunday, August 15.
Sessions will be held all day Monday and Tuesday, and part of Wednesday
morning. The closing session will be late morning, Wednesday, August 18.
HOW OPEN SPACE WORKS
Open Space will last three days. Each morning, and after the last session,
we'll have a meeting for everybody. The rest of the day is divided into 45
minute time slots. There are several meeting areas available for each time
In the opening session, we'll have an opportunity for everybody to propose
and schedule sessions that interest them. (You can add sessions later as you
think of new topics.) You'll find yourself acting in several different ways:
* HOST - bring an idea, propose a session, host the session, and ensure that
a summary is captured in the wiki.
* PARTICIPATE - recognize an interesting idea that you can contribute to or
learn from, and participate in the session.
* OBSERVE - you're welcome to just watch. You're not stuck attending a slot
you don't like - part of Open Space is the idea that it's ok to leave a
session in the middle.
OPEN SPACE CULTURE
Open Space has four principles and a law:
The Four Principles:
- Whoever comes is the right people.
- Whatever happens is the only thing that could have.
- Whenever it starts is the right time.
- When it's over, it's over.
The Law of Two Feet:
If, during the course of the gathering, you find yourself in a situation
where you are neither learning nor contributing, you must use your two feet
and go somewhere productive.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
* Last year's Open Space wiki, at
* Worldwide Open Space, at http://www.openspaceworld.org
* Harrison Owen's Open Space training, at http://www.openspaceworld.com
Ann Anderson (Ann.Anderson@...) and Bill Wake
(William.Wake@...) are co-chairs of the Open Space portion of the
conference. Please feel free to contact them with any questions you may
(This invitation is on the web at http://www.xpuniverse.com/openSpace)