Incentive Pay - was Re: Part-timers

  • Victor Szalvay
    Message 1 of 52 , Jun 5, 2004
      Mike,

      > you wrote: If they have hesitation, its that they
      > know their spouse are not excited by the notion.
      > ... As his mgr, I'd like to find a way to have him excited & writing
      > code w/out the worry of the leaky toilet ;-)

      My reaction is that you should leave it entirely up to the team at
      this point to make a decision without giving some incentive above and
      beyond usual pay.

      Two reasons for this:
      1) Whether you give an incentive (nice manager) or you threaten him
      with loss of a job (mean manager), you are doing so from a position of
      "command and control" over the team (a manager in either case). As a
      scrummaster you shouldn't be in that position because it undermines
      the team's sense of self-governance/self-organization. Ken Schwaber
      talks about this principle a lot during his course and I think it's
      the hardest one for us "manager" types to grow accustomed to. I
      constantly fight the urge to butt in and push the team in this or that
      direction.

      2) The second point has to do with the upper management (the PO I
      presume) that is pushing for the team to commmit to these goals. Even
      if you provide an extra incentive for doing so, the upper management
      will quickly become accustomed this level of effort and will come to
      expect it regularly. Unless your upper management is very well in
      tune with the issues at play here, my experience is that they will
      *expect* the team to keep doing this.

      I am a realist and I understand sometimes things just "need to get
      done, period". And it's not always practical to add more people to
      the problem. You want to impress the customer, you don't want to say
      no too often... it's a very tough situation. The fact is that unless
      you can handle this exception in a very tactful way with your PO, you
      will start down a very slippery slope and the scrum process will start
      to erode from under your project.

      Just my $0.02... any other thoughts on how to handle this dilemma? Is
      there something Mike can do here to appease his PO and still keep the
      agile/scrum environment intact?

      -- Victor Szalvay
      Danube Technologies, Inc.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "magooski_79"
      <Mike.McGowan@l...> wrote:
      > Thanks for all the ideas so for! Reacting to a couple of points.
      >
      > ==>*planning* to work overtime (especially for an extended period of
      > time) is not a good
      >
      > Yes, I was aware of this when I made my original post.
      >
      > ==>PLANNING to work over for an extended time period will render your
      > developers exhausted and brain dead.
      >
      > An extension of your previous post and one that I agree with.
      > However, this exact point was the reason for my post. I had *just*
      > finished a disucssion with a senior developer that told me, "When you
      > get 2x hours from me, you get *more* than 2x productivity from me."
      > This is a guy with 12 years experience that had come in a 5:00am,
      > because he was "in a groove". He challenged my assumptions on this
      > point.
      >
      > ==>IMO, if the team voluntarily commits to goals
      > This is the crux of the problem. The team is excited by the goal &
      > might do so "voluntarily". If they have hesitation, its that they
      > know their spouse are not excited by the notion.
      >
      > For example, my most senior developer says, "I'd rather be in here
      > writing code than fixing my leaky toilet at home. But, if I'm not
      > home to fix the toilet, the my wife has to pay somebody to fix it.
      > That's only acceptable to her, if I get some extra $$ to pay the
      > plumber!"
      >
      > As his mgr, I'd like to find a way to have him excited & writing code
      > w/out the worry of the leaky toilet ;-)
      >
      > Mike

    • Darren
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 12, 2004
        Hi Bryan,

        Quote:
        "Just as an FYI, I have posted an example of a sprint backlog using
        MS Project to the Scrum Alliance website."

        I was interested in your MS Project example, but can't find it. Can
        you direct me to where it is, or send me a copy?

        Thanks,

        Darren Bates