RE: [scrumdevelopment] Planning multiple sprints

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2004
      Message

      Baboo:

      We have done things like this since 1996 (Mercer, Nike Securities,
      Lincoln Reinsurance, Caremark, Hipaa Accelerator, New Governance, etc.)

      Here are few answers to your questions:

          1. The Scrum masters in each team are the Project Managers (with the
          new Scrum attitude and responsibilities that Scrum REDEFINES)
          2. There is optionally a Scrum Master for the Shared Services
          (or sometimes called architecture team), this applies specially if your applications
          use shared components (databases, app servers, transaction managers,
          security, workflow, and other services)
          3. the combined backlog of all project including Shared Services
          is the "global backlog"
          4. each project manages its own backlog but has in it often
          "shared components" tasks
          5. the shared backlog is maintained by the Shared Services team
          6. The technical leads of every team belong to the "architecture
          team"
          7. There is optionally a "Shared Services" technical lead, (sometimes
          called an "enterprise architect"
          8. The technical leads meet at least once a week for a "technical
          shared scrum"
          9. The Scrum Masters of every team meet in a Scrum of Scrums at
          least once a week to discuss:
              - dependencies
              - responsibilities for shared components
              - conflicts
              - possibilities for reuse
              -
          10. The "Shared Services" team offers help to other teams
          often by borrowing "technical leads" and/or developers to them

      At Caremark we had up to 17 teams working under this system.  At New Governance
      we have had up to 5 teams working using this system.

      Also, the evolution of 1 scrum team into multiple dependent teams is discussed
      in Ch 7 of the first Scrum book.

      We are proposing to use this management system to our customers/prospects
      to manage the governance and enterprise compliance of Fortune 500 companies.

      There is more information about this at:
      (was XBreed)

      (We don't actively sell consulting services in this area anymore since we
      have become a "software company" http://www.newgovernance.com
      but I keep the website mainly to make this information available to others that could
      potentially benefit from this information.)

      - Mike

      ** We have renamed our company and realigned our focus into
      the broader Compliance and Governance markets.  Our email and
      web site at Hipaa Accelerator will stay current and will
      be redirected to our corresponding New Governance addresses.

      Michael A. Beedle Ph. D.
      CEO
      New Governance Inc.
      2275 Half Day Rd. Suite 350
      Bannockburn, IL 60015
      cell:    847-840-9890
      office: 847-821-2631
      email:  mike.beedle@...
      http://www.newgovernance.com

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2004
        Mike,
        I tried the link http://www.enterpriseagileprocess.com, but it
        doesn't appear to be working. Is there another URL where the
        information you mentioned can be located?
        Thanks,
        Ann Dillon