Re: [scrumdevelopment] Incentive Pay - was Re: Part-timers

  • William R. Nichols
    Message 1 of 52 , Jun 4, 2004
      Regardless of management goals, only the team can commit to an
      achievable schedule. I would first determine if the team can commit to
      the aggressive goals with perhaps a modest push, or if they can provide
      an alternative that will achive the most important goals. They may even
      surprise you with creative alternatives.

      If the goals require overtime for an extended period, the team will
      tire, become less productive, quality will suffer, and the team will
      likely have a hangover for the next project. If the goals are
      aggressive, but achievable with a modest push, that's a very different
      situation. Ultimately, the team must believe the goal is achievable or
      they will surely fail.

      magooski_79 wrote:

      > Taking the "tacit knowledge" concept to a separate thread, I have a
      > brainstroming question about incentive "pay" as it pertains to Agile
      > methods.
      >
      > I've got an Agile project currently running. Upper management (I'm a
      > front line development mgr) wants to set some agressive new goals &
      > deadlines for the project. General gut feel among the developers is
      > this will take a significant additional time commitment. As a
      > result of the tacit knowledge already built up (and the tight
      > timeframes) it is also generally agreed that throwing additional
      > bodies at the problem is off the table. Quite naturally they are
      > asking, "What's in it for me". I'm looking for any/all ideas that
      > have been tried to address this & what your experience has been.
      > Ideas thrown out here so far:
      >
      > * Pay market rate contract $$/hour for "overtime".
      > * Stock Options.
      > * A Sales-type "boondoggle"
      > * Additional professional conferences.
      >
      > All ideas welcome.
      >
      > Mike
    • Darren
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 12, 2004
        Hi Bryan,

        Quote:
        "Just as an FYI, I have posted an example of a sprint backlog using
        MS Project to the Scrum Alliance website."

        I was interested in your MS Project example, but can't find it. Can
        you direct me to where it is, or send me a copy?

        Thanks,

        Darren Bates