Incentive Pay - was Re: Part-timers

  • Victor Szalvay
    Message 1 of 52 , Jun 4, 2004
      I believe there is a general agile principle that *planning* to work
      overtime (especially for an extended period of time) is not a good
      idea (Kent Beck's book comes to mind). Scrum says that Sprint goal
      commitments are a bilateral agreement between the team and the PO.
      Here you have a team saying they can't meet certain goals and the PO
      is pushing back saying, "work overtime and we'll pay you more". I
      would caution that this could lead to a vicious cycle, especially if
      the team meets the goal by working overtime in the current increment.
      PLANNING to work over for an extended time period will render your
      developers exhausted and brain dead. Ultimately they will become
      apathetic toward the project generally.

      IMO, if the team voluntarily commits to goals (and has
      underestimated), then working a little overtime to meet those
      committed goals is OK.

      -- Victor Szalvay
      Danube Technologies, Inc.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "magooski_79"
      <Mike.McGowan@l...> wrote:
      > Taking the "tacit knowledge" concept to a separate thread, I have a
      > brainstroming question about incentive "pay" as it pertains to
      Agile
      > methods.
      >
      > I've got an Agile project currently running. Upper management (I'm
      > front line development mgr) wants to set some agressive new goals &
      > deadlines for the project. General gut feel among the developers
      is
      > this will take a significant additional time commitment. As a
      > result of the tacit knowledge already built up (and the tight
      > timeframes) it is also generally agreed that throwing additional
      > bodies at the problem is off the table. Quite naturally they are
      > asking, "What's in it for me". I'm looking for any/all ideas that
      > have been tried to address this & what your experience has been.
      > Ideas thrown out here so far:
      >
      > * Pay market rate contract $$/hour for "overtime".
      > * Stock Options.
      > * A Sales-type "boondoggle"
      > * Additional professional conferences.
      >
      > All ideas welcome.
      >
      > Mike
    • Darren
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 12, 2004
        Hi Bryan,

        Quote:
        "Just as an FYI, I have posted an example of a sprint backlog using
        MS Project to the Scrum Alliance website."

        I was interested in your MS Project example, but can't find it. Can
        you direct me to where it is, or send me a copy?

        Thanks,

        Darren Bates