RE: [scrumdevelopment] Incentive Pay - was Re: Part-timers

  • Matt Wickham
    Message 1 of 52 , Jun 4, 2004
      Incentive systems should be self-regulating and the results measurable.  Overtime is an example of an incentive system that is not self-regulating.  There is no direct relationship between time spent and results.  Sales commissions are an example of a self-regulating system, and that is largely why they are in wide use.  When you sell something, there is a direct measurable result.  Debooking a sale is also part of the system there.  It would be nice for the developers to share in the increased sale that the tough goals might bring about, but this is assumedly hard to measure and probably somewhat arbitrary in my experience.  I would suggest a bonus incentive which could be cash or seminars or a combination based on what you and the team think is valuable.  You should get the business owner involved in setting the value based on a percentage value to the business of the stretch goal you are trying to achieve.

      Matt Wickham

      www.prorules.com

      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 12, 2004
        Hi Bryan,

        Quote:
        "Just as an FYI, I have posted an example of a sprint backlog using
        MS Project to the Scrum Alliance website."

        I was interested in your MS Project example, but can't find it. Can
        you direct me to where it is, or send me a copy?

        Thanks,

        Darren Bates