Re: [scrumdevelopment] Rotten apple in Scrum team

  • Ilja Preuß
    Message 1 of 124 , Jan 7, 2009
      I would actually worry much more about what *not* speaking up would do
      to team atmosphere.

      Conflicts are inherent to teams. Teams are made up of individuals,
      with individual needs. From time to time, those needs will be in
      conflict. In a healthy team there is enough trust to be able to
      surface those conflicts, and an effective conflict resolution process
      in place that honors all team members needs and feelings.

      So if I felt that there were bad feelings about this "underperformer"
      in the team, I'd see it as my responsibility as a facilitator to
      *encourage* team members to speak up, end to help them resolve it
      gracefully.

    • Roy Morien
      Message 124 of 124 , Jan 14, 2009
        We are watched, observed without knowing it all the time by many people, for many reasons that we do not know. That in itself is not a problem. What is the problem is the reason for that observation, and that it becomes known to us.

        If I am observed by people who want to know my coming and going so that they can rob my house, that will become a real problem for me, especially after they have robbed my house, and I connect that action with those couple of guys who seemed to be in our street a lot. I will then be much more vigilant and worried and suspicious in the future.

        If I am observed for the purpose of being given the Good Guy of the year Award, I will be quite happy about that, once I am aware of the situation, and I will probably start to 'play to the audience' a bit so as to be seen as extra nice :)

        So, motive for being observed is important, especially when the activity is revealed. In the workplace it is a case of what you don't know won't hurt you, until you get called in to the boss' office and told 'I've been watching you for a while and I am unhappy with what I have seen and I am now going to criticise you and make you fear for your job'. From that moment on you are going to be nervous, suspicious even to the point of being paranoid sometimes. Whatever the depth of your reaction is, it will be a big downer on your motivation and morale.

        Of course, as soon as you leave the bosses office, everyone else will know that they are probably being 'observed' too, so paranoia will inevitably set in all round. The 'observing' is no longer unknown, but is assumed at all times, and also assumed for nefarious reasons.

        Of course, if the boss comes out and addresses the group, and admits to observing the group's activities (which is not in itself a problem, and probably everyone assumed it anyway) and makes some good observations about success and failures, and plans to overcoming the problems, then everyone will probably be perfectly happy, and it is not a problem in any way.

        Regards,
        Roy Morien

        To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
        From: haricha@...
        Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:39:16 +0530
        Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Rotten apple in Scrum team

        Let me clarify on pt 5. Now, I have been watching this thread from long time and did not respond for long time, did I loose your trust just by watching it?

        There are multiple ways to watch someone without letting them know and I dont think we loose trust becoz of that. In fact, the first time questioner "Marko" has been watching team and thats how he developed this perception about one of the team member.

        We are being watched all the time by people who are near to us and I dont think we loose trust in each other. The action someone takes after watching for some time, may build or break trust.

        May be the better word instead of watch is observe but my intention is mentioned above when I wrote that point. Any feedback, most welcome.

        -Hariprakash

        On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Tim Walker <walketim@gmail. com> wrote:

        Regarding #5 - sounds like a sure fire way to lose trust.

        On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:30 AM, Hariprakash Agrawal <haricha@gmail. com> wrote:
        > Great question with very interesting debate. My take on this situation:
        >
        > It requires people management, inter-personal and team building skills; not
        > sure whether SM has this responsibility or not but my opinion would be that
        > SM play this role as well..
        >
        > 1. Try to have informal relationship, discussions with low performer over
        > time, like, in pantry, out of work area
        > 3. Ask tough questions in indirect way in an informal environment in 1:1
        > 4. Just listen, don't counter but empathize; don't blame and don't provide
        > solutions
        > 5. Watch him for some period without letting him realize that you are
        > watching
        > 6. Most probably, low performer will understand and improve over time; if
        > not, ask team opinion preferably 1:1 with each team member. if negative, its
        > time to look for some kind of job which suits him/her most
        >
        > Regards,
        > Hariprakash
        >
        > On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM, majkic.sensei <majkic@gmail. com> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi,
        >> I have situation considering Scrum metrics. I use team velocity based
        >> on user story points. Everything works fine, but when I take a look at
        >> individual contributions, I was surprised.
        >>
        >> Average contribution per developer is 38 usp (user story points). One
        >> of the members makes only 19 usp - twice less than the others.
        >>
        >> Did I do wrong, because I measured individual contribution? Who is
        >> responsible for handling those situations in Scrum? Should I bring
        >> this to Scrum review meeting or I should talk with this guy in
        >> private? What would you do?
        >>

        > --

        > Regards,
        > Hariprakash Agrawal (aka Hari),
        > <http://hariprakasha grawal.blogspot. com>

        Hariprakash Agrawal (aka Hari),
        <http://hariprakasha grawal.blogspot. com>

        Find your ideal job with SEEK Time for change?