Re: [scrumdevelopment] Rotten apple in Scrum team

  • Mark Levison
    Message 1 of 124 , Jan 5, 2009
      On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 3:59 PM, majkic.sensei <majkic@...> wrote:

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levison" <mark@...>
      > wrote:
      >

      > > Marko - you seem to cheery picking the ideas that fit your current
      > beliefs.
      > > I and others have made suggestions wrt reevaluating the situation
      > yet you've
      > > not made any comment about following up. Instead you've made
      > comments like:
      > > "Situation is real,..." - which seem to imply you're ignoring the
      > > suggestions.
      > >
      > I'm not quite sure what should I reevaluate? I'm pretty sure that
      > something should be done about this issue. And yes, I'm sure that
      > issue exists. I'm really not ignoring any of your suggestions. Maybe
      > it's not quite clear to me what you suggest. Would you, please make it
      > more clear to me this reevaluation. It's really great you try to help
      > me here.

      I'm suggesting that for the next week you assume that or there is no problem. I'm suggesting that you set aside all previous experience with this person and start from scratch. View this person as a new hire and watch what they do. Often when I do this I make new discoveries about the person/"problem".

      What we're all trying to do is to get to come back to this person with an open mind setting aside the past and just observing. See the article on Beginner's Mind: http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/08/beginners_mind - from Agile 2008.

      > > Why? If you want us to remain engaged in your problem it would be
      > helpful if
      > > you explained why these suggestions are not of interest to you i.e.:
      > "Too
      > > much reading", ...
      > Of course not. I replied to almost every post here.

      Oddly enough you appear to have ignored the suggestions on articles et al
      1) Linda Rising Article and Interview on Trust.
      2) InfoQ Performance Reviews
      3) Several suggestions that I and others made about setting aside preconceptions.
      4) At the time I wrote that you also hadn't acknowledged the suggestion that you pair with him. You have since.

      Suggest you take a week to re-evaluate and then come back for further discussion with what you've learned.

      Must run and help teach my five yr old's Karate class.

      Cheers
      Mark Levison

      Recent Entries: Agile/Scrum Smells:  http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2008/06/agilescrum-smells.html
      Agile Games for Making Retrospectives Interesting: http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2008/10/agile-games-for-making-retrospectives-interesting.html
    • Roy Morien
      Message 124 of 124 , Jan 14, 2009
        We are watched, observed without knowing it all the time by many people, for many reasons that we do not know. That in itself is not a problem. What is the problem is the reason for that observation, and that it becomes known to us.

        If I am observed by people who want to know my coming and going so that they can rob my house, that will become a real problem for me, especially after they have robbed my house, and I connect that action with those couple of guys who seemed to be in our street a lot. I will then be much more vigilant and worried and suspicious in the future.

        If I am observed for the purpose of being given the Good Guy of the year Award, I will be quite happy about that, once I am aware of the situation, and I will probably start to 'play to the audience' a bit so as to be seen as extra nice :)

        So, motive for being observed is important, especially when the activity is revealed. In the workplace it is a case of what you don't know won't hurt you, until you get called in to the boss' office and told 'I've been watching you for a while and I am unhappy with what I have seen and I am now going to criticise you and make you fear for your job'. From that moment on you are going to be nervous, suspicious even to the point of being paranoid sometimes. Whatever the depth of your reaction is, it will be a big downer on your motivation and morale.

        Of course, as soon as you leave the bosses office, everyone else will know that they are probably being 'observed' too, so paranoia will inevitably set in all round. The 'observing' is no longer unknown, but is assumed at all times, and also assumed for nefarious reasons.

        Of course, if the boss comes out and addresses the group, and admits to observing the group's activities (which is not in itself a problem, and probably everyone assumed it anyway) and makes some good observations about success and failures, and plans to overcoming the problems, then everyone will probably be perfectly happy, and it is not a problem in any way.

        Regards,
        Roy Morien

        To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
        From: haricha@...
        Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:39:16 +0530
        Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Rotten apple in Scrum team

        Let me clarify on pt 5. Now, I have been watching this thread from long time and did not respond for long time, did I loose your trust just by watching it?

        There are multiple ways to watch someone without letting them know and I dont think we loose trust becoz of that. In fact, the first time questioner "Marko" has been watching team and thats how he developed this perception about one of the team member.

        We are being watched all the time by people who are near to us and I dont think we loose trust in each other. The action someone takes after watching for some time, may build or break trust.

        May be the better word instead of watch is observe but my intention is mentioned above when I wrote that point. Any feedback, most welcome.

        -Hariprakash

        On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Tim Walker <walketim@gmail. com> wrote:

        Regarding #5 - sounds like a sure fire way to lose trust.

        On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:30 AM, Hariprakash Agrawal <haricha@gmail. com> wrote:
        > Great question with very interesting debate. My take on this situation:
        >
        > It requires people management, inter-personal and team building skills; not
        > sure whether SM has this responsibility or not but my opinion would be that
        > SM play this role as well..
        >
        > 1. Try to have informal relationship, discussions with low performer over
        > time, like, in pantry, out of work area
        > 3. Ask tough questions in indirect way in an informal environment in 1:1
        > 4. Just listen, don't counter but empathize; don't blame and don't provide
        > solutions
        > 5. Watch him for some period without letting him realize that you are
        > watching
        > 6. Most probably, low performer will understand and improve over time; if
        > not, ask team opinion preferably 1:1 with each team member. if negative, its
        > time to look for some kind of job which suits him/her most
        >
        > Regards,
        > Hariprakash
        >
        > On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM, majkic.sensei <majkic@gmail. com> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi,
        >> I have situation considering Scrum metrics. I use team velocity based
        >> on user story points. Everything works fine, but when I take a look at
        >> individual contributions, I was surprised.
        >>
        >> Average contribution per developer is 38 usp (user story points). One
        >> of the members makes only 19 usp - twice less than the others.
        >>
        >> Did I do wrong, because I measured individual contribution? Who is
        >> responsible for handling those situations in Scrum? Should I bring
        >> this to Scrum review meeting or I should talk with this guy in
        >> private? What would you do?
        >>

        > --

        > Regards,
        > Hariprakash Agrawal (aka Hari),
        > <http://hariprakasha grawal.blogspot. com>

        Hariprakash Agrawal (aka Hari),
        <http://hariprakasha grawal.blogspot. com>

        Find your ideal job with SEEK Time for change?