Re: Re[2]: [scrumdevelopment] Rotten apple in Scrum team

  • Marko Majkic
    Message 1 of 124 , Jan 5, 2009
      On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Stephen Bobick <sbobick2@...> wrote:
      > Is the PO happy with the Team's overall velocity (ROI)?
      Yes, for now.

      > Is the Team raising an issue concerning the individual?
      Not yet, but there were few jokes about this.

      > If not, there is no problem. It seems to me you are manufacturing an issue.
      I'm worried about possible consequences. Situation is real, I don't
      know how to handle this and I would like to be prepared for eventual
      situation. If this already happened, I would gladly share my
      experience with you. And again, do you (or anyone) else has similar
      experience this: Who and how should handle "rotten apple" situation in
      Scrum environment? Any concrete suggestions? Please, anyone?

      > On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Marko Majkic <majkic@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I'm not worrying about my bonus. It's safe, team is doing well for
      >> now, but I'm worried about possible team atmosphere ruin if this
      >> question came up. I'm not worried about bringing this issue up on
      >> meeting, but how to deal with team split, arguing about this and if
      >> team cannot come to consensus about this? What if this argue is
      >> repeating from sprint to sprint? And in general, let's put this
      >> situation in extreme: What to do if you have real "rotten apple" in
      >> the team, who doesn't contribute at all? Any concrete answer?
      >>
      >> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Paul Hudson <phudson@...> wrote:
      >> > "43 usp" developer could state: "19-usp guy is having problems and is
      >> > committing very little usp. He/She is slowing us down. What we will do
      >> > about this?". This would be pretty embarrassing situation and not
      >> > having an answer would be even more embarrassing.
      >> >

      >> > Why is it embarrassing that people should raise a real issue?
      >> >

      >> > Why do *you* have to have the answer?
      >> >

      >> > Why shouldn't the team come up with one?
      >> >

      >> > It's possible the person knows exactly why he/she is having issues
      >> > delivering the user stories, but if you have an environment where this
      >> > can't be discussed (or admitting to lower productivity may affect your
      >> > bonus), then it's not going to get discussed and probably not resolved.
      >> >

      >> > Paul.

    • Roy Morien
      Message 124 of 124 , Jan 14, 2009
        We are watched, observed without knowing it all the time by many people, for many reasons that we do not know. That in itself is not a problem. What is the problem is the reason for that observation, and that it becomes known to us.

        If I am observed by people who want to know my coming and going so that they can rob my house, that will become a real problem for me, especially after they have robbed my house, and I connect that action with those couple of guys who seemed to be in our street a lot. I will then be much more vigilant and worried and suspicious in the future.

        If I am observed for the purpose of being given the Good Guy of the year Award, I will be quite happy about that, once I am aware of the situation, and I will probably start to 'play to the audience' a bit so as to be seen as extra nice :)

        So, motive for being observed is important, especially when the activity is revealed. In the workplace it is a case of what you don't know won't hurt you, until you get called in to the boss' office and told 'I've been watching you for a while and I am unhappy with what I have seen and I am now going to criticise you and make you fear for your job'. From that moment on you are going to be nervous, suspicious even to the point of being paranoid sometimes. Whatever the depth of your reaction is, it will be a big downer on your motivation and morale.

        Of course, as soon as you leave the bosses office, everyone else will know that they are probably being 'observed' too, so paranoia will inevitably set in all round. The 'observing' is no longer unknown, but is assumed at all times, and also assumed for nefarious reasons.

        Of course, if the boss comes out and addresses the group, and admits to observing the group's activities (which is not in itself a problem, and probably everyone assumed it anyway) and makes some good observations about success and failures, and plans to overcoming the problems, then everyone will probably be perfectly happy, and it is not a problem in any way.

        Regards,
        Roy Morien

        To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
        From: haricha@...
        Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:39:16 +0530
        Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Rotten apple in Scrum team

        Let me clarify on pt 5. Now, I have been watching this thread from long time and did not respond for long time, did I loose your trust just by watching it?

        There are multiple ways to watch someone without letting them know and I dont think we loose trust becoz of that. In fact, the first time questioner "Marko" has been watching team and thats how he developed this perception about one of the team member.

        We are being watched all the time by people who are near to us and I dont think we loose trust in each other. The action someone takes after watching for some time, may build or break trust.

        May be the better word instead of watch is observe but my intention is mentioned above when I wrote that point. Any feedback, most welcome.

        -Hariprakash

        On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Tim Walker <walketim@gmail. com> wrote:

        Regarding #5 - sounds like a sure fire way to lose trust.

        On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:30 AM, Hariprakash Agrawal <haricha@gmail. com> wrote:
        > Great question with very interesting debate. My take on this situation:
        >
        > It requires people management, inter-personal and team building skills; not
        > sure whether SM has this responsibility or not but my opinion would be that
        > SM play this role as well..
        >
        > 1. Try to have informal relationship, discussions with low performer over
        > time, like, in pantry, out of work area
        > 3. Ask tough questions in indirect way in an informal environment in 1:1
        > 4. Just listen, don't counter but empathize; don't blame and don't provide
        > solutions
        > 5. Watch him for some period without letting him realize that you are
        > watching
        > 6. Most probably, low performer will understand and improve over time; if
        > not, ask team opinion preferably 1:1 with each team member. if negative, its
        > time to look for some kind of job which suits him/her most
        >
        > Regards,
        > Hariprakash
        >
        > On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM, majkic.sensei <majkic@gmail. com> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi,
        >> I have situation considering Scrum metrics. I use team velocity based
        >> on user story points. Everything works fine, but when I take a look at
        >> individual contributions, I was surprised.
        >>
        >> Average contribution per developer is 38 usp (user story points). One
        >> of the members makes only 19 usp - twice less than the others.
        >>
        >> Did I do wrong, because I measured individual contribution? Who is
        >> responsible for handling those situations in Scrum? Should I bring
        >> this to Scrum review meeting or I should talk with this guy in
        >> private? What would you do?
        >>

        > --

        > Regards,
        > Hariprakash Agrawal (aka Hari),
        > <http://hariprakasha grawal.blogspot. com>

        Hariprakash Agrawal (aka Hari),
        <http://hariprakasha grawal.blogspot. com>

        Find your ideal job with SEEK Time for change?