Re: Scrum for Games Development

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Graeme Monk" <bigg@a...>
      wrote:
      > I still have a problem whereby
      > management still want a day to day input on the project and cause
      the
      > team to stray, which I understand is a problem with changing from
      the
      > more traditional approach. I also recognise this as a failing on my
      > part, hence signing up for the course.

      I assume that managment is one/the source of your features?

      If you run short sprints, management can have input to the Feature
      Backlog daily if they want, without upsetting the Sprint, and can
      replan the Sprint Backlogs regularly (some people run 2-week
      sprints). Once they understand that they can rearrange the Features
      in future sprints, including tweaks to prior Sprint features, they
      might just be happy to leave you alone for two weeks.

      In our case, our verrrry insecure customers settled down fast, once
      they realised that their requests were absolutely not being lost or
      shelved. They explicitly said - no, it's ok, we can wait for that, we
      know we'll see it on the list again at Backlog Planning time. The
      Product Backlog is visible to them at all times, in fact it is
      THEIRS. This is very reassuring.

      Also, they get to see working code demo' (say, every two weeks) so
      you are less likely to throw out 6 months of work. This is a big
      selling point - if they are really paying attention, you could only
      be throwing out one Sprint's work, which is not so bad.