RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Backlog is a Universal Concept

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17, 2002
      Ward wrote:
      >andycirillo wrote:
      > > Good ideas tend to evolve simultaneously in multiple places.
      > > It makes me think of the evolution of the eyball. The eyeball
      > > of the Octopus is nearly identical in function and structure to the
      > > mammalian eyeball, yet biologists can prove that they evolved from
      > > completely distinct sources.
      >
      > Interesting note: This week's Science (p1010) notes
      > work reported at a recent Cold Spring Harbor meeting
      > that suggests eyes had a common origin and that the
      > ancestor could have been a microbe that later
      > became the chloroplast. Evidence comes from the
      > pax-6 developmental gene present in 20 species.

      Ward:

      It is also interesting that parallel research in biology is
      showing that high concentrations of _new_ types of
      bacteria and chemicals are the origin of cancer in
      most living organisms.

      The same research argues that a living organism, like a mammal,
      is a giant hotel for bacteria, but that as long as the
      bacteria present are in a stable coevolutionary path,
      they represent no harm to the "individual". In fact, some
      bacteria have been "living with us and our ancestors"
      for millions of years. And the immune system even ignores
      many kind of bacteria because it somehow knows that they
      are, so to speak, part of the working system.

      So in the case of the origin of the eye above, a nice
      coevolutionary path existed, probably for a long time,
      that eventually led to the encoding of a gene in the
      host organisms,

      - Mike
      http://www.livingmetaphor.org