Re: [good] Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Story points and estimation

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 144 , Jan 2, 2009
      On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Chet Hendrickson
      <lists@...> wrote:
      > Hello Adam,
      >
      > Friday, January 2, 2009, 2:06:54 PM, you wrote:
      >
      > I believe there is only business risk, or at least only one we should care
      > about. If a technical issue has no impact on the ability of the project to
      > deliver business value, why should we care about it.

      Well, you are still talking about technical risk. My point is that the
      customer is managing their own kind of risk. Part of the conflict
      comes not only from developers trying to influence the order to manage
      risk from a technical perspective, but from customers doing the same
      thing to manage business risk. It's all part of the game.

      We have to do our best to communicate the risk to the customer, as you
      say, but we also need to trust that the customer is doing what they
      think is best from the business side. However, if the customer does
      override us it doesn't absolve our responsibility to manage the
      technical risk. So, we need practices to do that as well.
    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 2, 2009
        Chet Hendrickson wrote:
        > Hello Adam,
        >

        > Friday, January 2, 2009, 2:06:54 PM, you wrote:
        >

        > I believe there is only business risk, or at least only one we should
        > care about. If a technical issue has no impact on the ability of the
        > project to deliver business value, why should we care about it.
        >

        > It is the responsibility of the technical people to put the risks they
        > see into terms the PO can understand and value. The undue interference
        > comes about when the PO defers to them without understanding for themselves.

        Yes, and the flip side of this coin is when the PO dismisses risk
        without understanding for themselves because it's too technical or
        because they don't trust the developers. It all works out so much
        better when we have a good working relationship.

        - George