Re: [good] Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Story points and estimation

  • Chet Hendrickson
    Message 1 of 144 , Jan 2, 2009
      Re: [good] Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Story points and estimation

      Hello Adam,

      I believe there is only business risk, or at least only one we should care about.  If a technical issue has no impact on the ability of the project to deliver business value, why should we care about it.

      It is the responsibility of the technical people to put the risks they see into terms the PO can understand and value.  The undue interference comes about when the PO defers to them without understanding for themselves.

      chet

      On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Chet Hendrickson

      Aren't there really two kinds of risk here? There's business risk and

      there's technical risk. It is up to the PO to think about business

      risk and whether to accept such risk by increasing the priority, defer

      it by reducing the priority, or mitigate it by changing/breaking-up

      the story. It's up to developers to think about technical risk and

      deal with uncertainties by increasing estimates or insisting on

      spikes. If we keep these roles straight I'm not sure how the influence

      could be "undue."

      --

      Best regards,

       Chet                            mailto:lists@...

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 2, 2009
        Chet Hendrickson wrote:
        > Hello Adam,
        >

        > Friday, January 2, 2009, 2:06:54 PM, you wrote:
        >

        > I believe there is only business risk, or at least only one we should
        > care about. If a technical issue has no impact on the ability of the
        > project to deliver business value, why should we care about it.
        >

        > It is the responsibility of the technical people to put the risks they
        > see into terms the PO can understand and value. The undue interference
        > comes about when the PO defers to them without understanding for themselves.

        Yes, and the flip side of this coin is when the PO dismisses risk
        without understanding for themselves because it's too technical or
        because they don't trust the developers. It all works out so much
        better when we have a good working relationship.

        - George