Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Story points and estimation

    Message 1 of 144 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hello, aacockburn. On Monday, December 15, 2008, at 11:00:28 AM,
      you wrote:

      > I just don't really want to be hearing the technical people saying,
      > "It's higher business value to knock down this risk now." And then them
      > arguing what the numerator in the BV equation is. What usually is
      > operating is how much the PO trusts the person with the ashen white face
      > and trembling voice.

      Yes, business value is the PO's call. And IMO the PO should consider
      reduction of risk as having "business value".

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way. -- Jessica Rabbit
    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 2, 2009
        Chet Hendrickson wrote:
        > Hello Adam,
        >

        > Friday, January 2, 2009, 2:06:54 PM, you wrote:
        >

        > I believe there is only business risk, or at least only one we should
        > care about. If a technical issue has no impact on the ability of the
        > project to deliver business value, why should we care about it.
        >

        > It is the responsibility of the technical people to put the risks they
        > see into terms the PO can understand and value. The undue interference
        > comes about when the PO defers to them without understanding for themselves.

        Yes, and the flip side of this coin is when the PO dismisses risk
        without understanding for themselves because it's too technical or
        because they don't trust the developers. It all works out so much
        better when we have a good working relationship.

        - George