[POLL] Does the Product Owner Participate in your Sprint Retrospectives

  • Peter Stevens
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      I thought the discussion about P-O's and Sprint Retrospectives was pretty interesting. I'm curious what teams really do. To that end, I have set up a poll:
      Does the Product Owner Participate in Your Sprint Retrospectives?

      Always - as a full participant
      Always - as a silent participant
      Sometimes - by invitation
      Sometimes - if s/he is around
      Never
      Click here to vote

      As always, I will summarize the results in a week or so...

      Thanks & Cheers,

      Peter
      --
      Peter Stevens, CSM, CSP
      www.tinyurl.com/Scrum-In-House-Training

    • Peter Stevens (calendar)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2009
        Hi everyone,

        The answer was a clear yes: 72% reported the P-O always is present, 13% said never. The rest were somewhere in the middle. Nobody claimed that the P-O is invited but not allowed to speak.

        For more info, the results are on my blog: The Product Owner is Part of the Team

        Is this another characteristic of Scrum-Butt?

        Cheers,

        Peter

        Peter Stevens wrote:
        Hi everyone,

        I thought the discussion about P-O's and Sprint Retrospectives was pretty interesting. I'm curious what teams really do. To that end, I have set up a poll:
        Does the Product Owner Participate in Your Sprint Retrospectives?

        Always - as a full participant
        Always - as a silent participant
        Sometimes - by invitation
        Sometimes - if s/he is around
        Never
        Click here to vote

        As always, I will summarize the results in a week or so...

        Thanks & Cheers,

        Peter
        --
        Peter Stevens, CSM, CSP
        www.tinyurl.com/Scrum-In-House-Training
        www.scrum-breakfast.com
        tel: +41 44 586 6450

        --
        Peter Stevens, CSM, CSP
        http://tinyurl.com/Scrum-In-House-Training
        http://scrum-breakfast.com
        tel: +41 44 586 6450

      • Alan Dayley
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2009
          An interesting data point. Thanks for doing the survey.

          Your question is unclear. What "this" are you asking about?

          Alan

          On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 3:19 AM, Peter Stevens (calendar)
          <peterstev@...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > The answer was a clear yes: 72% reported the P-O always is present, 13% said
          > never. The rest were somewhere in the middle. Nobody claimed that the P-O is
          > invited but not allowed to speak.
          >
          > For more info, the results are on my blog: The Product Owner is Part of the
          > Team
          >
          > Is this another characteristic of Scrum-Butt?
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Peter
          >
          > Peter Stevens wrote:
          >
          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I thought the discussion about P-O's and Sprint Retrospectives was pretty
          > interesting. I'm curious what teams really do. To that end, I have set up a
          > poll:
          >
          > Does the Product Owner Participate in Your Sprint Retrospectives?
          >
          > Always - as a full participant
          > Always - as a silent participant
          > Sometimes - by invitation
          > Sometimes - if s/he is around
          > Never
          >
          > Click here to vote
          >
          > As always, I will summarize the results in a week or so...
          >
          > Thanks & Cheers,
          >
          > Peter
          >
          > --
          > Peter Stevens, CSM, CSP
          > www.tinyurl.com/Scrum-In-House-Training
          > www.scrum-breakfast.com
          > tel: +41 44 586 6450
          >

          > --
          > Peter Stevens, CSM, CSP
          > http://tinyurl.com/Scrum-In-House-Training
          > http://scrum-breakfast.com
          > tel: +41 44 586 6450

        • Peter Stevens (calendar)
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 15, 2009
            Hi Alan,

            Sorry, it was unclear.

            The current(?) Nokia Test (with extended scoring by Jeff Sutherland) identifies a number of good & bad P-O practices:
            • We have no Product Owner
            • We have a Product Owner that do not understand Scrum [sic]
            • We have a Product Owner who disrupts Team during iterations
            • We have a Product Owner who is not involved with Team
            • We have a Product Owner with a Product Backlog
            • We have a Product Owner with a release roadmap with dates based on Team velocity
            • We have a Product Owner who motivates Team
            The whole question would be "to what extent is a product owner involvement a factor in good Scrum?" How should the P-O interact with team? Is a P-O who does not participate in retrospectices part of a Scrum-Butt projects?

            Cheers,

            Peter