Re : [scrumdevelopment] Re: Product Owner overtasked by Scrum?

  • Florence Chabanois
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      We have two products owner, one of them knows very little about software development. At the beginning, she was coming to the retrospective but as a matter of fact, she was not needed and she got bored. She is not coming anymore. Yet our door is still open, she may come if she wants and we will invite her again if there is a point to.

      The other PO is more IT oriented and is the one making the fitnesse tests. He always come to the retrospective and fully belongs to the team (all of us are scrum masters, in turns). Since two iterations, he was less and less making the tests because, well, there was vacations and sometimes it was just faster for us to do it. We realize in our last retrospective that we were "losing ourselves" and this is the PO who mentionned it.

      I guess when the level of trust is high, it is really good to have the PO join the retrospective and if there is a problem even with him, it is good to be able to talk about it (everyone being protected by the restrospective rules : not to attack anyone etc). There can also be problem between developers, would that mean that we should exclude developers from the retrospective?.... If there are problems, I would want to invite them even more. But before, actions should be done to make people feel safe enough to find solutions instead of throwing rocks.

      Happy New Year to everyone !
      Florence.

      De : Felix <faruessel@...>
      À : scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Envoyé le : Mercredi, 31 Décembre 2008, 14h52mn 07s
      Objet : [scrumdevelopment] Re: Product Owner overtasked by Scrum?

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David H." <dmalloc@...> wrote:
      > Odd. To me the Product Owner clearly is NOT part of the team.
      > Therefore he/she is forbidden to be a part of the classical end of
      > iterration retrospective.

      I am a PO with a team of five developers. With my background as
      developer and project manager I feel like part of the team. I am
      available for the developer team nearly all the time and sometimes I
      just take some time to hang around in the dev team room to get a
      feeling how the developers are feeling at the moment. His has proven
      to be a very good investment to build up trust. We usually have a very
      open communication even in difficult times when I have got the feeling
      that the developers work is quite protected by the Scrum rules while
      my work as PO is becoming a damn tough one.

      I am normally attending the retrospectives (and all other Scrum
      meetings) especially if I feel like that there were special events
      during the sprint. As I have sometimes too much work to do I can
      expect to hear complains about quality of stories in the retrospective
      and the developers have all rights to do this. I am usually
      complaining about bad deployment skills and bad test coverage when we
      run into some problems (bugs) that should have been discovered before.
      I don't attend the retro in case I get the feedback from the team that
      nothing special has happened. In this case the team and the SM are
      doing the usual stuff, mostly talking about technical stuff.

      IMHO the PO is definitively part of the Scrum team. However not all
      POs work the same way because of their different background.

      Felix
      --
      www.armerkater.de

      <*> Your email settings: