Re: Sprint retrospective on Sprint burndown chart?

  • MacKilby
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 29, 2008
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "jofireball" <j.geske@...> wrote:

      > Thank you all for your feedback.
      >
      > - @Joakim: Running out of space could easily happen. Fortunately you
      > can just stick the notes everywhere as the chart itself serves as a
      > reminder only. See picture below:
      > http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=243245&id=1042595241
      >
      > - @Ilja: Yes, I already noticedthat this technique might mislead
      > people to focus on burn down related topics - especially those with a
      > negative impact. I encourage the team to think openly and to use the
      > BDC as a reminder only.
      >
      > - @Mike: Thanks for your feedback. Your idea of mapping impediments
      > and dates within a Sprint sounds great. I will definitely give it a
      try.

      > Regards
      >
      > Jo
      >

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "jofireball" <j.geske@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I would be interested in your feedback on the way we do Sprint
      > > retrospectives: Instead of putting sticky notes with significant
      > > events on a rather abstract timeline representing the Sprint we put
      > > them directly on the respective Sprint burndown chart.
      > >
      > > Advantages:
      > > - Encourages thinking (why was the burndown high/low on that day?)
      > > - Helps concentrating on events relevant for the Sprint and team
      > > - Helps illustrating correlation between cause and effect
      > >
      > > Drawbacks:
      > > ?
      > >
      > > What do you think of this approach? Your feedback is highly
      appreciated.

      > > Best regards,
      > >
      > > Jo

      The space problem is easily resolved. Take the picture (or electronic
      version) of the burndown and project on the wall or use a large
      plotter. Then you can get additional "comments" added. Also, by
      blocking part of the x-axis, you can remove the focus on "dates".
      I've used similar techniques when using electronic means of generating
      the burndown, but photographs should work the same.

      Mark Kilby