Re: [scrumdevelopment] Digest Number 612

  • Jeff Sutherland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      I've posted previously how I manage burndown charts using a couple of
      extra data items in the open source GNATS bug tracking system. It
      completely automates real time updating of burndown and integrates bug
      fixing with development tasks, while working on multiple simulaneous
      projects that generate weekly releases to specific client groups.

      Recently, Product Management asked to roll up multiple projects and
      show dependencies for them. In their weekly meeting they make
      decisions to focus resources on certain releases or functionality.
      Those decisions alter all dependencies. They want information that
      helps them make decisions and see the impact of those decisions. It is
      sort of a Scrum of Scrums decision making group.

      After doing some investigation and talking with colleagues running
      development in project management software companies, it seemed clear
      that Excel cannot easily manage hierarchies of projects. That is
      something project management software is designed to do. In order to
      stay as lightweight as possible, it was recommended to import
      snapshots of burndown data from multiple projects into Microsoft
      Project and use this as a visualization tool for Product Management,
      as well as a way to do "what-if" analysis.

      It was agreed that this abomination should not be inflicted on the
      Scrums and no change would be made to their current reporting scheme.
      We would report from the bottom up into a management tool for Product
      Management to work with.

      I'm trying to figure out how best to import the data right now and
      give PM what they want. Any suggestions would be welcome.

      Jeff Sutherland