Scrum and Microsoft Project

  • Bryan Zarnett
    Message 1 of 52 , May 28, 2004
      Hi Everyone,

      I had an interesting conversation last night with a fellow regarding
      the use of Microsoft Project with Scrum. The fellow wishes to
      implement Scrum but his management core uses MS Project for
      everything. He was wondering how he could integrate the two in short
      term, and see what can evolve in the long term. I just wanted to
      share my comments that I provided him with everyone else.

      1. Insert two new columns into the project plan. "Duration" will be
      labeled "Initial Estimate" and "Text2" will be labeled "Time
      Remaining". Resource Names will be those individuals "Responsible"
      for the backlog entry. You can add another field "Contact" with the
      label "Originator". This gives you a mock backlog in MS Project.

      2. You can go even one step better and take each of the 30 "Text"
      fields and label them simply 1 to 30, and these represent the time
      remaining on a daily basis.

      3. Every day "Export" to CSV file and make sure to date it properly.
      Import it into a named sheet and have an Excel chart representing
      your burn down and voila you have a sprint backlog with a burndown
      chart while using Microsoft Project.

      If anyone is interested, I will post my example MS Project Sprint
      backlog and Project backlogs onto the Scrum Alliance website.

      This is just an example of how to use existing tools to meet the need
      of the job without creating unnessecary problems and impediments.

      If people are wondering, I currently do this now.

      Cheers,
      Bryan
    • Darren
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 12, 2004
        Hi Bryan,

        Quote:
        "Just as an FYI, I have posted an example of a sprint backlog using
        MS Project to the Scrum Alliance website."

        I was interested in your MS Project example, but can't find it. Can
        you direct me to where it is, or send me a copy?

        Thanks,

        Darren Bates