Re: Management resistance to Scrum?

  • Jens Ƙstergaard
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2004
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Victor Szalvay"
      <danube_tech@y...> wrote:
      > I've been following the thread on the importance of including other
      > staff (the facilities manager, etc.) in your plans to implement
      > My point here is similar: it's important to get buy off from "upper
      > management" when implementing Scrum. But it goes beyond a "nod"
      > the boss, I believe they need to understand and believe in the
      > philosophy.
      > In my case, I am the co-owner of a small software project services
      > firm and I am primarily responsible for evaluating and implementing
      > process. As such, I am firmly behind Scrum: I believe in
      > engineering over waterfall and empirical inspect/adapt cycles over
      > defined processes due to the highly complex nature of software
      > engineering. I accept that my teams cannot accurately estimate
      > and plan for entire projects in advance, instead we re-evaluate the
      > product backlog on an ongoing basis. I also defend my teams when a
      > customer wants to inject new work into a Sprint.
      > But I noticed something about my positions: they put me squarely in
      > the path of "blame" or "frustration" from customers with no one else
      > to take the fall. If a customer can't get her way with our
      > ScrumMasters, she comes to me and complains as a last resort. Now,
      > I were not behind our Scrum implementation "fully" I could mitigate
      > the situation and simply cave in to the demand. Then I could tell
      > teams to "just get it done somehow". But for Scrum to be effective
      > the entire company from top to bottom must hold the line and we must
      > maintain a unified response. My teams know that I always have their
      > backs if push comes to shove. But this creates a tremendous amount
      > pressure on me, the manager, representing the last resort appellate
      > court to which my customers make their case.
      > My point is that it will take very dedicated and strong managers to
      > "hold the line" with Scrum teams and POs. If your manager is
      > not fully on board, they may cave and undermine the entire process.
      > My experience is that _many_ upper level managers are looking to
      > to the buck to the guys down the line. What implications does this
      > have on the viability of Scrum in those organizations? Has anyone
      > experience to this effect? What happened to your Scrum
      > afterwards?
      > Thanks for your time,
      > -- Victor Szalvay
      > Danube Technologies, Inc.

      I think all organizations have different kind of managers, including
      managers who wants to interfer and steer projects. However, I find
      that clear majority of managers accept Scrum and the theories behind
      Scrum, once Scrum is explained to them. And why shouldn't they. It
      all makes sense.

      If someone outside the team wants to interfer with the sprintlog, the
      team will not feel as comitted to the sprintlog. Simple common sense.