Story points and estimation

  • Mike Sutton
    Message 1 of 144 , Dec 13, 2008
      Here a couple of scenarios I would like some opinion on...

      Scenario 1
      -----------
      A team takes a story - 'As a purchaser , I want to pay electronically
      by Visa credit card'and estimates it at 13.
      But this estimate is heavily swayed by Dave, who has done credit card
      processing functionality before, the rest of the team had not. They
      buy into Dave's argument of the complexities and go with his 13.

      They go into the sprint and Dave does most of the work on this story
      and gets completed. They earn the 13 points for the story.

      Next sprint planning, Dave is absent (he's had a misadventure with an
      ironing board, he's going to be away for the entire sprint), again the
      team have another story - 'As a purchaser , I want to pay
      electronically by Mastercard credit card', this time they all estimate
      it at 20 points.

      They accept that it is really similar to the previous story, but they
      know little more than they did at the previous sprint. Dave isn't
      there to help estimate or do the story.

      Questions on Scenario 1
      -----------------------
      1. Should the size of the story change because Dave is not around or
      is the just the velocity of the next sprint that is reduced (because
      Dave is not available)? Or is it both?

      2. Are estimates really subject to the expertise of individuals and
      how does this represent team commitment?

      Scenario 2
      -----------
      The Team commit to a story - As a registered user I want to edit my
      address details. They estimated it as 50 points.
      During the sprint they completed most of the tasks related to the
      story , but missed out the storing away of the a couple of address
      details. The PO did not accept the story as done. The team get no
      points for the story.

      During the next sprint planning, the team get the story again.

      Questions for Scenario 2
      ------------------------
      1. Should the nearly complete code for the story from the previous
      sprint be rolled out and the missing bits added to complete the story
      in this sprint?
      2. What points should the team commit to for this story in this sprint?
      3. What points should the team claim , if they complete the story in
      this sprint?

      Answers on a postcard.

      mike.
      csm.csp.cspo.certified.certifiable
      -season's greeting and may the god of happy turkeys bless your tables.
    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 2, 2009
        Chet Hendrickson wrote:
        > Hello Adam,
        >

        > Friday, January 2, 2009, 2:06:54 PM, you wrote:
        >

        > I believe there is only business risk, or at least only one we should
        > care about. If a technical issue has no impact on the ability of the
        > project to deliver business value, why should we care about it.
        >

        > It is the responsibility of the technical people to put the risks they
        > see into terms the PO can understand and value. The undue interference
        > comes about when the PO defers to them without understanding for themselves.

        Yes, and the flip side of this coin is when the PO dismisses risk
        without understanding for themselves because it's too technical or
        because they don't trust the developers. It all works out so much
        better when we have a good working relationship.

        - George