Sprint retrospective on Sprint burndown chart?

  • jofireball
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 11, 2008
      Hi,

      I would be interested in your feedback on the way we do Sprint
      retrospectives: Instead of putting sticky notes with significant
      events on a rather abstract timeline representing the Sprint we put
      them directly on the respective Sprint burndown chart.

      Advantages:
      - Encourages thinking (why was the burndown high/low on that day?)
      - Helps concentrating on events relevant for the Sprint and team
      - Helps illustrating correlation between cause and effect

      Drawbacks:
      ?

      What do you think of this approach? Your feedback is highly appreciated.

      Best regards,

      Jo
    • Joakim Karlsson
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 12, 2008
        On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 12:34 AM, jofireball <j.geske@...> wrote:
        > Hi,

        Sounds like a good idea to me.

        What do you use to draw your burn-downs? If you use something like
        flip-charts I would imagine you could run out of space for stickies if
        you have a lot of them.

        Joakim

        http://www.jkarlsson.com/blog
        http://www.blueplane.se
      • Ilja Preuß
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 12, 2008
          Interesting idea!

          Besides the space problem Jo already mentioned, I could imagine that
          another drawback potentially might be a too strong focus on things
          that are closely related to the burn chart, at the expense of more
          subtle, but important topics.

          Anyway, in my experience it's best to vary the format over time,
          anyway. Pay close attention to the feedback you get at the end of the
          retrospectives, and use that to decide how often to use this format,
          I'd suggest.

          Thanks for sharing this idea!

          Cheers, Ilja
        • Mark Levison
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 12, 2008
            Thanks for sharing this interesting idea. I'm with Ilja - I try to vary my retrospectives never quite the same thing twice in a row.

            Cheers
            Mark

            --
            Cheers
            Mark Levison
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 12, 2008
              Jo - I have to commend you on discovering a great technique!

              Regardless of how effective it turns out to be, well done on
              innovating and trying something new.

              On to the idea, one of the difficulties with retrospectives is mapping
              issues to actual dates - I don't think need to because your
              retrospectives are really about
              1) fixing the recurring problems with your process and
              2) identifying ways of improving your process (beyond repairing the
              dysfunction in the option above).

              If you want a more detailed insight into the daily issues and then
              bring those into the retrospective and this only really works if the
              team board and burndown chart are kept clean and updated, is to put
              stickies of your impediments against the date on the BDC.

              So rather than just a list (which you could also just add a date to),
              you would have a more visual record of impediments and this would be
              an awesome conversation starter at the retro.

              Also, you could extend the BDC as a diary of the sprint, capturing not
              only the tasks burndown, but impediments (as above) and key events
              that will enable you to better retrospect.

              I hope this makes sense, I have just spewed it out and not really
              edited (a little bit rushed!)

              cheers
              mike.sutton
              csm.csp.cspo.certified.certifiable.

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "jofireball" <j.geske@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I would be interested in your feedback on the way we do Sprint
              > retrospectives: Instead of putting sticky notes with significant
              > events on a rather abstract timeline representing the Sprint we put
              > them directly on the respective Sprint burndown chart.
              >
              > Advantages:
              > - Encourages thinking (why was the burndown high/low on that day?)
              > - Helps concentrating on events relevant for the Sprint and team
              > - Helps illustrating correlation between cause and effect
              >
              > Drawbacks:
              > ?
              >
              > What do you think of this approach? Your feedback is highly appreciated.
              >
              > Best regards,
              >
              > Jo

            • Dmitry Beransky
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 12, 2008
                Sounds like an interesting idea, but I have a hard time visualizing the whole getup.  Could you post a picture or two of what it looks like?

                Thanks
                D.
              • Mike Sutton
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 13, 2008
                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Dmitry Beransky" <yahoo@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Sounds like an interesting idea, but I have a hard time visualizing the
                  > whole getup. Could you post a picture or two of what it looks like?
                  > Thanks
                  > D.

                  I have some pictures of my suggestions if that is what you were asking
                  about Dmitry.

                  Mike
                • Mark Levison
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 14, 2008
                    Can you post the pictures somewhere? and if you do may I use them in a news post for InfoQ?

                    Cheers
                    Mark

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 14, 2008
                      Both burn down charts blogged about here...

                      http://agile-blogs.com/agile-coaching/making-your-burn-down-chart-do-more/

                      cheers
                      mike

                      scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com<scrumdevelopment%40yahoogroups.com>,

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 14, 2008
                        oh, and you can use them InfoQ, Mark - cheers

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 15, 2008
                          I notice that there are quite a few stickers on the burn charts.

                          For a retrospective, I'd typically like there to be a lot more
                          stickers, to get a more complete image of what the iteration was like.
                          I'd also dislike the focus on impediments - a retrospective should
                          also be a place to share joy, successes - and also frustration that is
                          unrelated to impediments. Also, I like the retrospective to be a
                          place to come up with deeper issues, with more subtle problems, a
                          place to *make place* for "unspeakables", to digg up subtle things and
                          things that simply get overlooked in day to day work.

                          But that's just my fears, without having been there...

                          Cheers, Ilja

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 15, 2008
                            I can see where you are coming from with your comments and I thought
                            there might be a risk of your fears, but I coached the facilitation of
                            the first retrospective after they adopted this approach and guided
                            them to not focus on the impediments.

                            We had agreed before that this was just to set the context of some of
                            the frustrations that come up in the retrospectives. What we gained
                            from doing this was that there was no 'I can't remember exactly when,
                            but Mike wasn't in when I needed to clear up about the RSA handshake
                            and there wasn't anyone else who could help'.

                            The way I facilitate the retrospectives and the way I coach them is to
                            make time to look at the things we 'know' went wrong and take some
                            time to understand how we can improve on them. Then we make time to
                            look at the deeper issues and the 'unspeakables'. The actions that
                            come out of both of these retrospective activities then go into the
                            coming sprint.

                            As I say, we got value out of doing this, but perhaps not everyone will.

                            be good.
                            mike
                            csm.csp.cspo.certified.certifiable.

                            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ilja Preuß" <iljapreuss@...>

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 15, 2008
                              Oh, yes - if this isn't your only activity to gather data about the
                              iteration - or not even your main one - I can easily see that fact
                              addressing my fears. :)

                              Thanks, Ilja

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 15, 2008
                                Thank you all for your feedback.

                                - @Joakim: Running out of space could easily happen. Fortunately you
                                can just stick the notes everywhere as the chart itself serves as a
                                reminder only. See picture below:
                                http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=243245&id=1042595241

                                - @Ilja: Yes, I already noticedthat this technique might mislead
                                people to focus on burn down related topics - especially those with a
                                negative impact. I encourage the team to think openly and to use the
                                BDC as a reminder only.

                                - @Mike: Thanks for your feedback. Your idea of mapping impediments
                                and dates within a Sprint sounds great. I will definitely give it a try.

                                Regards

                                Jo

                                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "jofireball" <j.geske@...> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > I would be interested in your feedback on the way we do Sprint
                                > retrospectives: Instead of putting sticky notes with significant
                                > events on a rather abstract timeline representing the Sprint we put
                                > them directly on the respective Sprint burndown chart.
                                >
                                > Advantages:
                                > - Encourages thinking (why was the burndown high/low on that day?)
                                > - Helps concentrating on events relevant for the Sprint and team
                                > - Helps illustrating correlation between cause and effect
                                >
                                > Drawbacks:
                                > ?
                                >
                                > What do you think of this approach? Your feedback is highly appreciated.
                                >
                                > Best regards,
                                >
                                > Jo

                              • MacKilby
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 29, 2008
                                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "jofireball" <j.geske@...> wrote:

                                  > Thank you all for your feedback.
                                  >
                                  > - @Joakim: Running out of space could easily happen. Fortunately you
                                  > can just stick the notes everywhere as the chart itself serves as a
                                  > reminder only. See picture below:
                                  > http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=243245&id=1042595241
                                  >
                                  > - @Ilja: Yes, I already noticedthat this technique might mislead
                                  > people to focus on burn down related topics - especially those with a
                                  > negative impact. I encourage the team to think openly and to use the
                                  > BDC as a reminder only.
                                  >
                                  > - @Mike: Thanks for your feedback. Your idea of mapping impediments
                                  > and dates within a Sprint sounds great. I will definitely give it a
                                  try.

                                  > Regards
                                  >
                                  > Jo
                                  >

                                  > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "jofireball" <j.geske@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi,
                                  > >
                                  > > I would be interested in your feedback on the way we do Sprint
                                  > > retrospectives: Instead of putting sticky notes with significant
                                  > > events on a rather abstract timeline representing the Sprint we put
                                  > > them directly on the respective Sprint burndown chart.
                                  > >
                                  > > Advantages:
                                  > > - Encourages thinking (why was the burndown high/low on that day?)
                                  > > - Helps concentrating on events relevant for the Sprint and team
                                  > > - Helps illustrating correlation between cause and effect
                                  > >
                                  > > Drawbacks:
                                  > > ?
                                  > >
                                  > > What do you think of this approach? Your feedback is highly
                                  appreciated.

                                  > > Best regards,
                                  > >
                                  > > Jo

                                  The space problem is easily resolved. Take the picture (or electronic
                                  version) of the burndown and project on the wall or use a large
                                  plotter. Then you can get additional "comments" added. Also, by
                                  blocking part of the x-axis, you can remove the focus on "dates".
                                  I've used similar techniques when using electronic means of generating
                                  the burndown, but photographs should work the same.

                                  Mark Kilby