Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: projects board

  • Daniel Wildt
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008

      The status division in the PDF you sent is how can I say, you have a
      waterfall view of your projects.
      Since you are trying to do Agile, let me give you something more specific.

      Example, follow your projects by goals.

      Break each project in bigger goals, than you break those bigger goals
      in shorter ones. Make those short goals fixed in timeboxes. Let's say,
      two weeks. If you do this, you will have expected iterations and
      releases for your projects.

      And here is the magic... :-)

      One project can be waiting for something to start. After it starts, it
      can be on development (where you can follow those goals) or you have
      that project blocked by some reason (you have an impediment to solve).
      After completion, the project can be closed or the project can be
      canceled for some reason. So you have green status, yellow and red
      status. Yellow can be an impediment that is not blocking you but is
      something to take care ASAP. Red is a real road block, that needs

      You have some statuses available for customer review and also team
      review. If you do that, they will become phases in your cycle. Don't
      do that. Follow one project using your goals and work to bring your
      customers closer to your teams to review those goals.
      This way they will be following their projects closer. Ask the team to
      tell the team how they are doing daily and after the end of one
      timebox, review your goal versus what was delivered by the team and
      check how you can improve with your team.

      You need something simple. Scrum can really help you. You need a heartbeat.

      Ask to your directors what they want to know about projects. What kind
      of metrics they want to measure. Remember that the team will behave
      based on this.

      If a project is blocked, I would like to understand why. If a project
      misses its goal, I want to know before that happens. If a project goes
      live, I want to measure ROI, I want to understand how much money I'm
      giving back to my customer. So, those may be good variables to follow.

      Daniel Wildt