Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: How to write Stories for backend components?

  • David H.
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 2, 2008
      2008/12/2 Ove Lindström <ove.lindstrom@...>:
      > Well, we mostly use the same style, "As a <actor>, I want to,,," and
      > just use the calling component as actor.
      >
      > An example (somewhat modified):
      >
      > As a CustomerWebAction, I want the DataHandler component to return all
      > Customer objects based on the provided market.

      I usually forbid that type of story. There must be a behaviour (User
      functionality) somewhere which would allow the system to be
      implemented in such a behaviour. I realise that is something that is
      down to how you adopt Scrum at your place of work, but just to give
      you an example, here in the company I am working currently in that
      type of story would be rejected by the PO.

      I would argue that every backend component interfaces sooner or later
      with something or even its internal behaviour is often dictated by the
      actions it is required to perform for an external feature.

      Thanks!

      =d

      benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 9, 2008
        Hello, Roy. On Monday, December 8, 2008, at 11:03:21 PM, you
        wrote:

        > Ron, I was commenting on the debate that seemed to be about how
        > you write it down on a card. I did make the comment "I think the
        > question is not if it should be a 'user story' or not, but who is
        > responsible for paying for this? Is it part of the original
        > project vision, that such components will be delivered as
        > required, and is part of the project cost, or not?" which does
        > encompass your concern (a quite correct concern, I agree).

        Yes. I find that the exercise of expressing a technical story n
        terms of its business value is a very good one ... especially when
        someone is trying to justify some techie thing that really doesn't
        need to be done. :)

        Of course that never happens ...

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        Find the simple path to what works and follow it,
        always looking for a simpler path. -- Patrick D. Smith