Re: [scrumdevelopment] Team Size or reasons that we shouldn't allow teams to grow larger than 12

  • Michael Yip
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
      Mark,

      As a champion on Scrum you can approach the sponsor(s) of the team and address the 3 points you'd mentioned below and be constructive with your suggestion. Ultimately, the team will need to realize it and address the issue.

      Personally, I was in the position to advice a group where 3 of the teams had grown to over 12. The sponsors realized the inefficiency and addressed that. You cannot change the mind of a sponsor(s) who has a fixed mindset. Let the results speak. I know, its painful. Lessons learned.

      Regards,
      Michael

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
        Mark Levison wrote:
        > Recently one of the teams in my area has grown to the size of 15 and I
        > see its having an impact on them. Before I sit down with the manager in
        > question and discuss the pitfalls of a team this size I wanted to make
        > sure I have my ducks lined up.

        Is it 15 developers? Or 15 in the Whole Team?

        > Off the top of my very tired brain here are the reasons I can think:
        > 1) Standup has become a sitdown and runs 30 minutes not 15.

        I've seen 20 people complete the standup in under 15 minutes. It takes
        some discipline, but it can be done. We say "talk to the cards" to
        focus on the essentials and avoid relating "what we worked on." Pairs
        don't repeat the same thing. It /can/ be done.

        > 2) Planning meeting runs over four hours and team members don't feel
        > everything is properly planned. Team members tend to dread these meetings.

        Here again, it may just be poor meeting protocol. But you may want to
        let just part of the team do the planning meeting.

        > 3) Number of communication paths is too many for people to manage.

        Are they all in one room?

        > At the start of the project the manager was concerned that team members
        > would miss out on key information if he split the teams.
        >
        > What have I missed?

        You're right that 15 people is a little on the large side. But it can
        be done.

        The original plan with my current team was to split into two. We
        finally had a meeting, and the consensus of the team was that, even
        given the disadvantages of the large team, it was better for a number of
        reasons over splitting into two.

        Have you considered bringing it up with the team rather than with just
        the manager?

        - George

      • Sreedharan, Ashwanth (Ashwanth)
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008

          It talks about having feature based teams and you can split your 15 member team (I assume 15 members include dev, test, analysts and not managers) into smaller feature teams.

          Thanks,
          Ashwanth

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levison" <mark@...> wrote:

            > 3) Number of communication paths is too many for people to manage.

            To take this idea even further, in a *performing* team, members hold
            each other accountable to do greater things than they've done before.
            To me it seems less probable a team that's too big will become
            self managing to the same extent. Probably it will break itself
            into smaller cliques anyway, which may be fine.

            --mj