Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: User Stories vs. Agile Use Cases

  • David H.
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
      2008/12/1 aacockburn <acockburn@...>:
      > Good points, Tom.
      >
      > This sort of discussion gets me to note that the workers working on
      > my house have a belt sander and also a chisel. I've seen them use
      > both. I've not yet seen them argue over, "Should we get rid of the
      > belt sander and only keep the chisel, or vice versa?"

      If the value the chisel returned would gradually move towards zero I
      stipulate that discussion would come up more and more.

      > I also can't see the workmen saying, "I'm not going to learn how to
      > use a belt sander - this chisel works fine for me."

      You have obviously never met my steph father (who happens to be a
      structural engineer for car bodies) and swears to certain ways of
      doing it and completely disregarding others. Apparently it works for
      him, he is still quite respected in his community.

      > The way of phrasing the question about use cases versus user stories
      > already presupposes that an either/or choice is appropriate.
      >
      > They are both tools. Learn them both. We are all professionals -- it
      > behooves us to know the tools available to us.

      We are also human and thus we are limited in what we can learn. I
      would suggest we only learn the things that return most value to us in
      the context we need to learn them in. If knowing a lot about Use Cases
      enables me to write better User Stories in the end, then I am all for
      learning about them.

      I do not know anything noteworthy about Use Cases and yet I seem to be
      capable of writing User Stories for complex problems. I would really
      like to know whether learning about Use Cases can improve my
      abilities. Any suggestions?

      -d

      benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
    • aacockburn
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
        I learned long ago that there are people who will only learn a new
        tool or technique when faced with abject failure. Short of that, they
        say -- no matter what difficulties they encounter along the way --
        "See, I told my tool box was sufficient for the job."

        Best wishes with your tool box. May you one day learn to spot the
        empty spaces in it.

        Alistair

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David H." <dmalloc@...>
        wrote:

        > 2008/12/1 aacockburn <acockburn@...>:
        > > Good points, Tom.
        > >
        > > This sort of discussion gets me to note that the workers working
        on
        > > my house have a belt sander and also a chisel. I've seen them use
        > > both. I've not yet seen them argue over, "Should we get rid of the
        > > belt sander and only keep the chisel, or vice versa?"
        > >

        > If the value the chisel returned would gradually move towards zero I
        > stipulate that discussion would come up more and more.
        >
        > > I also can't see the workmen saying, "I'm not going to learn how
        > > use a belt sander - this chisel works fine for me."
        > >
        > You have obviously never met my steph father (who happens to be a
        > structural engineer for car bodies) and swears to certain ways of
        > doing it and completely disregarding others. Apparently it works for
        > him, he is still quite respected in his community.
        >
        > > The way of phrasing the question about use cases versus user
        stories
        > > already presupposes that an either/or choice is appropriate.
        > >
        > > They are both tools. Learn them both. We are all professionals --
        it
        > > behooves us to know the tools available to us.
        > >
        > We are also human and thus we are limited in what we can learn. I
        > would suggest we only learn the things that return most value to us
        in
        > the context we need to learn them in. If knowing a lot about Use
        Cases
        > enables me to write better User Stories in the end, then I am all
        for
        > learning about them.
        >
        > I do not know anything noteworthy about Use Cases and yet I seem to
        be
        > capable of writing User Stories for complex problems. I would really
        > like to know whether learning about Use Cases can improve my
        > abilities. Any suggestions?
        >
        > -d
        >
        > --
        > Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
        > Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail
        accounts.

        > "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
        > benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

      • George Dinwiddie
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
          David H. wrote:
          > We are also human and thus we are limited in what we can learn. I
          > would suggest we only learn the things that return most value to us in
          > the context we need to learn them in. If knowing a lot about Use Cases
          > enables me to write better User Stories in the end, then I am all for
          > learning about them.
          >
          > I do not know anything noteworthy about Use Cases and yet I seem to be
          > capable of writing User Stories for complex problems. I would really
          > like to know whether learning about Use Cases can improve my
          > abilities. Any suggestions?

          There's a /really/ good book on Use Cases, though Alistair may be too
          modest to mention it. I think you would find reading it worth your
          time. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0201702258/

          I've also seen people use Use Cases like a carpenter using a chisel for
          a screwdriver. I couldn't get them to take a look at the book. I also
          couldn't get them to throw out "use cases" where there was no user, just
          another part of the same system.

          I wouldn't say Use Cases are /necessary/ "for showing people the shape
          of the system to be," but they're a good tool to know.

          - George

        • Raghuram
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
            I agree that use cases are surely a good tool to know. People who have been using use cases earlier and changed over to user stories, in my opinion, can write better stories.  But people who already have started using user stories before knowing anything about use cases may feel it a bit redundant.

            K.V.M.Raghuram,

            > We are also human and thus we are limited in what we can learn. I
            > would suggest we only learn the things that return most value to us in
            > the context we need to learn them in. If knowing a lot about Use Cases
            > enables me to write better User Stories in the end, then I am all for
            > learning about them.
            >
            > I do not know anything noteworthy about Use Cases and yet I seem to be
            > capable of writing User Stories for complex problems. I would really
            > like to know whether learning about Use Cases can improve my
            > abilities. Any suggestions?

            There's a /really/ good book on Use Cases, though Alistair may be too
            modest to mention it. I think you would find reading it worth your
            time. http://www.amazon.. com/exec/ obidos/ISBN= 0201702258/

            I've also seen people use Use Cases like a carpenter using a chisel for
            a screwdriver. I couldn't get them to take a look at the book. I also
            couldn't get them to throw out "use cases" where there was no user, just
            another part of the same system.

            I wouldn't say Use Cases are /necessary/ "for showing people the shape
            of the system to be," but they're a good tool to know.

            - George

            * George Dinwiddie * http://blog. gdinwiddie. com
            Software Development http://www.idiacomp uting.com
            Consultant and Coach http://www.agilemar yland.org

          • David H.
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2008
              2008/12/2 George Dinwiddie <lists@...>:
              > David H. wrote:
              >> We are also human and thus we are limited in what we can learn. I
              >> would suggest we only learn the things that return most value to us in
              >> the context we need to learn them in. If knowing a lot about Use Cases
              >> enables me to write better User Stories in the end, then I am all for
              >> learning about them.
              >>
              >> I do not know anything noteworthy about Use Cases and yet I seem to be
              >> capable of writing User Stories for complex problems. I would really
              >> like to know whether learning about Use Cases can improve my
              >> abilities. Any suggestions?
              >
              > There's a /really/ good book on Use Cases, though Alistair may be too
              > modest to mention it. I think you would find reading it worth your
              > time. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0201702258/

              Thanks... as he goes and buys it...

              -d

              benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu