How to write Stories for backend components?

  • Mark Levison
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 1, 2008
      I'm sure this has been asked before - but after 20 minutes of digging I can't find the reference.

      One team team that I working with is building a backend component that suppports a number of other systems. I'm familiar with the idea that we shouldn't have component teams but rather feature teams (http://www.infoq.com/articles/scaling-lean-agile-feature-teams). However at the moment I can't help make that change, in addition the technology stack is deep enough that feature teams might not be enough.

      So my problem: How to write stories for backend components?

      In this case the product supports 4-5 other applications further up the stack than them (not all of which are end-user applications). So I'm wondering are stories written in the form:

      "The XXX application needs ..... for business reason" or do you find a way to write in terms of the actual end user even though this component doesn't work directly with end-users.

      Cheers
      Mark Levison

      Recent Entries: Agile/Scrum Smells:  http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2008/06/agilescrum-smells.html
      Agile Games for Making Retrospectives Interesting: http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2008/10/agile-games-for-making-retrospectives-interesting.html

      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 9, 2008
        Hello, Roy. On Monday, December 8, 2008, at 11:03:21 PM, you
        wrote:

        > Ron, I was commenting on the debate that seemed to be about how
        > you write it down on a card. I did make the comment "I think the
        > question is not if it should be a 'user story' or not, but who is
        > responsible for paying for this? Is it part of the original
        > project vision, that such components will be delivered as
        > required, and is part of the project cost, or not?" which does
        > encompass your concern (a quite correct concern, I agree).

        Yes. I find that the exercise of expressing a technical story n
        terms of its business value is a very good one ... especially when
        someone is trying to justify some techie thing that really doesn't
        need to be done. :)

        Of course that never happens ...

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        Find the simple path to what works and follow it,
        always looking for a simpler path. -- Patrick D. Smith