Building Scrum into new contracts

  • hairygodfather45
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2004
      Need a little help here. We've been successfully growing Scrum
      in our business unit, mostly on existing contracts amenable to this
      type of effort, i.e. Time and Materials. More and more people are
      taking an interest in it. Obviously, this is fairly new to our
      government customer so we've had to educate them. We've had luck so
      far but are entering a new phase.
      The project I manage will be changing contract vehicles soon and
      we'll be able to negotiate the terms of the contract with them. In
      essence, we'll need to sign up to provide a certain number of system
      requirements within a fixed time frame. Our fee we receive will
      depend on successfully completing these requirements. So if we say
      we'll complete five requirements, but only do four, we'll get dinged
      on our award fee. This can be an issue since, quite often, we're
      dependant on different organizations from the customer to provide us
      information. If this is slow in coming (as has often been the case),
      we have trouble meeting our goals. Other requirements are so
      complicated that we only see the tip of the iceberg up front and our
      initial estimate is order of magnitudes off. While I understand
      Scrum doesn't expect those initial estimates to be accurate, this
      won't help us on our new contract vehicle.
      Our team is beginning to address these issues and how best to
      handle them, but I wonder if anyone out there has any experience
      building Scrum methodology into government contracts. Could
      definitely use some help. Thanks.