RE: [scrumdevelopment] Need for Functional Specs

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2008
      Michael's response is quite reasonable, but it doesn't address the question of exactly what a Functional Spec actually is, or what it should contain, how much time should be spent on it.

      The problem often seems to be that it is the creation of a weighty and well presented FS that is the main intention of the activity. If it is big, heavy and beautifully presented, it must be good, and the author(s) are judged on that, rather than the correctness or appropriateness of the content. This may come from the basic education problem where students are required to prepare FS as an exercise that is assessed, but the teacher has no way of knowing if the content of the FS is the least bit useful ... the only assessment criteria is weight, size and beauty.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      CC: salilprasad@...
      From: myip11@...
      Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 04:18:16 -0800
      Subject: RE: [scrumdevelopment] Need for Functional Specs

      Salil,

      The concept of "Done" includes writing specifications. Consistency and quality may be defined ahead of time. The member of the team starts to write what is relevant to the slice he/she is working on within an iteration for a set of story points. It is possible for others to iteratively build on that FS in other iterations over time. As you can see, as functionality changes overtime, this framwork allows you to adapt and adjust expeditiously.

      Regards,
      Michael

      From: salilprasad@ yahoo.com
      Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:04:22 -0800
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Need for Functional Specs

      Hi,

      If we have most of the requirements written in user stories format, is there still a need for functional spec? Can someone point to a good resource that could help with that? In our current dev env, I see people writing 60-70 pages of FS for 200 person day project and it appears we are spending lot of time in documenting functional requirements before doing coding and I am having tough time in changing the waterfall mindset.

      Any good book/reference would be much appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Salil

      Find great deals on eBay Net yourself a bargain

      Sell your car for just $40 at CarPoint.com.au It's simple!