Re: Looking for material about using scrum in distributed teams

  • torq9
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 25, 2008
      Hi Daniel,

      >What kind of development team?
      The team is 9 people in total, including testers, java devs, php devs,
      DB guys, and sysadmins. So, cross-functional. A big issue, though, it
      that the are really "attached" to their technical expertise (e.g. "I
      work in Java, I'm not looking into PHP stuff).

      >How is it distributed?

      PHP development is remote and also one of the testers, and the DB guy.
      4 people in total.

      >Where are they located (how far are they apart).
      In two different countries, in the same timezone.

      >What type of technology/Industry?
      Internet.

      >How mature are the teams?
      They aren't working as a team - they are really working in "silos":
      we, the php guys vs java guys; dev vs testers, and so on. So, they are
      far from mature, really. Even though I have some seniors in the team,
      they are not that much team players.

      >Why are they distributed in the first place?
      Upper management decision to cut costs. It is quite debatable if that
      works, of course. But it's outside of my control.

      Thanks,

      Rodrigo

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David H." <dmalloc@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 4:39 PM, torq9 <rodrigoterra@...> wrote:
      > > Hello Group,
      > >
      > > Can you please point me to some interesting material about using Scrum
      > > with distributed teams (other than Jeff Sutherland's video)?
      > > Any help is deeply appreciated :).
      > >
      > What kind of development team? How is it distributed? Where are they
      > located (how far are they apart). What type of technology/Industry?
      > How mature are the teams? Why are they distributed in the first place?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > -d
      >
      > --
      > Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
      > Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail
      accounts.

      > "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
      > benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

    • torq9
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 25, 2008
        Thanks Marcelo, I'll have a look at it.

        Cheers,
        Rodrigo

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "marcelo belnicoff"

        <rodrigoterra@...<rodrigoterra%40sent.com>>
        > > wrote:
        > > > Hello Group,
        > > >
        > > > Can you please point me to some interesting material about using
        Scrum
        > > > with distributed teams (other than Jeff Sutherland's video)?
        > > > Any help is deeply appreciated :).
        > > >
        > > What kind of development team? How is it distributed? Where are they
        > > located (how far are they apart). What type of technology/Industry?
        > > How mature are the teams? Why are they distributed in the first place?
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > >
        > > -d
        > >
        > > --
        > > Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
        > > Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail
        accounts.

        > > "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
        > > benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

      • torq9
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 25, 2008
          Hi Michal,

          Great, thanks! I was looking exactly for something like this! For sure
          it will be helpful.
          This is my first time as a SM of a distributed team, and my first
          impression of the state that the previous SM left is not so good.
          Please have a look at:

          Thanks again!

          Rodrigo

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "mislocin"