Looking for material about using scrum in distributed teams

  • torq9
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 24, 2008
      Hello Group,

      Can you please point me to some interesting material about using Scrum
      with distributed teams (other than Jeff Sutherland's video)?
      Any help is deeply appreciated :).

      Thanks,

      Rodrigo
    • David H.
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 24, 2008
        On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 4:39 PM, torq9 <rodrigoterra@...> wrote:
        > Hello Group,
        >
        > Can you please point me to some interesting material about using Scrum
        > with distributed teams (other than Jeff Sutherland's video)?
        > Any help is deeply appreciated :).

        What kind of development team? How is it distributed? Where are they
        located (how far are they apart). What type of technology/Industry?
        How mature are the teams? Why are they distributed in the first place?

        Thanks

        -d

        benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
      • marcelo belnicoff
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 24, 2008
          You can read a a few techniques on chapter 18 "Planning the Muti-Team Project", "Agile Estimating and Planning", Mike Cohn.

          On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 1:50 PM, David H. <dmalloc@...> wrote:

          On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 4:39 PM, torq9 <rodrigoterra@...> wrote:
          > Hello Group,
          >
          > Can you please point me to some interesting material about using Scrum
          > with distributed teams (other than Jeff Sutherland's video)?
          > Any help is deeply appreciated :).

          What kind of development team? How is it distributed? Where are they
          located (how far are they apart). What type of technology/Industry?
          How mature are the teams? Why are they distributed in the first place?

          Thanks

          -d

          benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

        • mislocin
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 24, 2008
            Hi,

            try this one from Microsoft:
            http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/4/a/44a2cebd-63fb-4379-898d-9cf24822c6cc/distributed_agile_development_at_microsoft_patterns_and_practices.pdf

            I would be interested in hearing others opinion on distributed agile
            development where one team sits in 2 or more different offices &
            timezones.

            For example - frequently some or majority of SQA activities are
            offshored while programming is continued in main office. Did anyone
            try to apply agile in such environment?

            Currently I'm part of group trying to apply agile in similar team
            structure. Since most of us have only theoretical knowledge about
            agile, for first release my preference would be to work with local
            team only in order to properly understand and polish our processes and
            later expand it to broader organization.

            This makes sense for us since only part of the project will be agile,
            while majority will continue using classic aproach.

            Does anyone has experience and valuable comments about implementing
            distributed agile in similar organization?

            Michal Slocinski

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "torq9" <rodrigoterra@...> wrote:

            > Hello Group,
            >
            > Can you please point me to some interesting material about using Scrum
            > with distributed teams (other than Jeff Sutherland's video)?
            > Any help is deeply appreciated :).
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Rodrigo

          • torq9
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 25, 2008
              Hi Daniel,

              >What kind of development team?
              The team is 9 people in total, including testers, java devs, php devs,
              DB guys, and sysadmins. So, cross-functional. A big issue, though, it
              that the are really "attached" to their technical expertise (e.g. "I
              work in Java, I'm not looking into PHP stuff).

              >How is it distributed?

              PHP development is remote and also one of the testers, and the DB guy.
              4 people in total.

              >Where are they located (how far are they apart).
              In two different countries, in the same timezone.

              >What type of technology/Industry?
              Internet.

              >How mature are the teams?
              They aren't working as a team - they are really working in "silos":
              we, the php guys vs java guys; dev vs testers, and so on. So, they are
              far from mature, really. Even though I have some seniors in the team,
              they are not that much team players.

              >Why are they distributed in the first place?
              Upper management decision to cut costs. It is quite debatable if that
              works, of course. But it's outside of my control.

              Thanks,

              Rodrigo

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David H." <dmalloc@...> wrote:

              > On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 4:39 PM, torq9 <rodrigoterra@...> wrote:
              > > Hello Group,
              > >
              > > Can you please point me to some interesting material about using Scrum
              > > with distributed teams (other than Jeff Sutherland's video)?
              > > Any help is deeply appreciated :).
              > >
              > What kind of development team? How is it distributed? Where are they
              > located (how far are they apart). What type of technology/Industry?
              > How mature are the teams? Why are they distributed in the first place?
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > -d
              >
              > --
              > Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
              > Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail
              accounts.

              > "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
              > benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

            • torq9
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 25, 2008
                Thanks Marcelo, I'll have a look at it.

                Cheers,
                Rodrigo

                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "marcelo belnicoff"

                <rodrigoterra@...<rodrigoterra%40sent.com>>
                > > wrote:
                > > > Hello Group,
                > > >
                > > > Can you please point me to some interesting material about using
                Scrum
                > > > with distributed teams (other than Jeff Sutherland's video)?
                > > > Any help is deeply appreciated :).
                > > >
                > > What kind of development team? How is it distributed? Where are they
                > > located (how far are they apart). What type of technology/Industry?
                > > How mature are the teams? Why are they distributed in the first place?
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > >
                > > -d
                > >
                > > --
                > > Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
                > > Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail
                accounts.

                > > "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
                > > benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

              • torq9
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 25, 2008
                  Hi Michal,

                  Great, thanks! I was looking exactly for something like this! For sure
                  it will be helpful.
                  This is my first time as a SM of a distributed team, and my first
                  impression of the state that the previous SM left is not so good.
                  Please have a look at:

                  Thanks again!

                  Rodrigo

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "mislocin"