Re: [scrumdevelopment] Apologies, opportunities and goodbye

  • Dave Rooney
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 22, 2008
      Mark Levison wrote:
      > Like Mike and John I will miss your questions and thoughtful answers.
      > Its sad to see that interesting conversations will be even more
      > fragmented than before. Unfortunately Ken's desire to make this forum
      > suitable for people new to Scrum means that it is becoming a forum
      > suitable only for those who are *new* to Scrum.

      Interesting. My father was in the insurance industry for almost 50
      years, and in sales for about 15 of those. I met a colleague of his
      once, who was perennially one of the highest in Canada in terms of
      selling new insurance policies. I believe his nickname was "Bulldog" or
      something like that, because he could be somewhat, um, aggressive with
      regards to getting those sales. Apparently it worked - his success
      spoke for itself.

      Or did it? This person also had the highest lapse rate of policies.
      That happens when a person who has opened a term life insurance policy
      doesn't renew it once the term ends. This salesman was very aggressive
      at getting new policies, but didn't take the time (or didn't care) to
      ensure that policies nearing the end of their term were renewed. I was
      also told that his aggressive tactics towards getting the initial sale
      turned people off, and thus they didn't want to renew with him or with
      that company.

      The moral here, in terms of this list, is that focusing solely on
      getting more teams to adopt Scrum (or any other Agile process) for the
      first time will result in the same sort of issue with regards to "lapsed
      policies". Taking an organization larger than a single team and
      transitioning them to Scrum or anything else goes way beyond what's
      required to train a single team, or ScrumMaster within that team.

      If the goal of this list is to cater only to people new to Scrum, you do
      so at your own peril.

      --

      Dave Rooney
      Mayford Technologies