RE: [scrumdevelopment] Daily Scrum Three Times a Week - Scrum Anti Pattern

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 20, 2008
      For some reason, many people, team members, do not seem to want to share their knowledge, or share their experience of the day. Maybe they think 'knowledge is power' and to share their knowledge is to reduce their 'power'. Maybe they just don't think their knowledge is relevant to anyone else ... or they are not interested in other people's experience and knowledge. I don't know, but I have seen this situation quite often. Maybe they think if you want to tell them about your experience and share your knowledge, you are trying to show you are superior to them.

      It needs a substantial change in attitude and culture to build an environment where knowledge sharing is valued.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      > To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      > From: usergroup@...
      > Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:41:22 -0500
      > Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Daily Scrum Three Times a Week - Scrum Anti Pattern
      >
      > Hi Mark,
      >
      > Mark Levison wrote:
      > > In recent days several of my colleagues have seriously suggested that they
      > > only need a daily Scrum 3 times a week. My blood boiled, my brain went into
      > > gear and froze. I've not assembled a good counter argument.
      >
      > I ran into the same issue with my team initially. What I promised them
      > was this - try it for (x time). We'll have retrospectives regularly to
      > discuss what is working and what isn't. And if daily isn't working, then
      > you all decide as a team what is best. And then we'll try that for (x
      > time). And have some more retrospectives.
      >
      > I see nothing wrong with having a team try out a practice as-is for a
      > set amount of time. In fact, I'd be hesitant to adopt any practice
      > without first trying it the way it is intended. After that, the team
      > should be able to know what its needs are, and should be able to
      > recognize when those needs aren't being met.
      >
      > You mentioned that the tasks were big - but is that a problem? Do they
      > have a problem missing their deadlines? Are their projects late? Do they
      > suffer from code quality problems? In short - why should they change?
      >
      > --
      > Cory Foy
      > http://www.cornetdesign.com
      > http://www.agileflorida.com

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > mailto:scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > mailto:scrumdevelopment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Find great deals on eBay Net yourself a bargain