Re: [scrumdevelopment] Daily stand ups and Best practices for user stories

  • Richard Lawrence
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2008
      On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Salil Prasad <salilprasad@...> wrote:
      > I am wondering what's the best way to address the resistance seen with
      > standup meetings (I am sure this must have been very common thing for most
      > transitions) :
      >
      > We started well during the initial transition from waterfall to Scrum. But
      > over the period developers and Dev managers (playing Scrum master role)
      > started thinking it is waste of time. The reason they give is when they need
      > to know something, they can just talk to that individual directly; they can
      > see the Sprint tracking sheet; not everyone would care what other team
      > members are doing and so on. Also, not everyone shows up at time, so
      > sometimes people have to repeat things.

      The daily Scrum often is a waste of time. But that indicates not that
      the daily Scrum ceremony itself is waste, but that it's being
      misunderstood and/or done wrong. The purpose of the daily Scrum is not
      primarily to share information or status with other team members. It's
      to make and follow up on commitments to one another around the team's
      shared goal of completing the work for the sprint. I may not care that
      you implemented method X on class Foo for widget Bar yesterday or
      whether you went to meeting Y or had lunch with person Z (I've heard
      all these things in daily Scrums), but I care very much whether you're
      doing your part to help us meet our team commitments.

      The best way I've found to refocus a daily Scrum that has devolved
      into detailed status reporting is to change the three questions to:
      What did you *complete* yesterday? What will you *complete* today? and
      What impediments are preventing you from completing your work? This
      focus on results over busyness tends to make the meeting shorter and
      more useful for making and keeping commitments. I've written more
      about this here:
      http://www.richardlawrence.info/2008/07/11/one-word-can-change-your-daily-scrum/.

      The other approach you might consider is a short retrospective in
      which you share the goal for the daily Scrum, making and keeping
      commitments to one another, and then reflect on what you're doing in
      your daily Scrum as a team. What is helping you achieve the goal? What
      is getting in the way or not helping you achieve the goal? What might
      you try that could help you achieve the goal?

      Hope that helps,

      Richard

      --
      Richard Lawrence