Re: Scrum training recommendations

  • Alan Shalloway
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 15, 2008
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Doug McQuilken
      <dougmcq000@...> wrote:

      > Just when you think this topic has run its course (pun
      intended).....
      > Alan & Ken are both right as they are responding to different
      questions.

      > This topic is really part of broader question - the objective is to
      develop a performing team. Along that continuum it is necessary to
      have various interventions in order to move up the learning curve.
      Some possible interventions are PO & CSM training.

      > Although having just gone through the experience of building a
      scrum/agile team "from scratch", I would suggest that PO and/or CSM
      training is neither necessary nor sufficient to build an effective
      scrum/agile team.

      > The essential characteristic of Scrum/Agile that differentiates it
      from "Waterfall" is the team interaction which may require a cultural
      change. Thus, I would suggest the following general sequence of
      events:
      > Form team - inclusive of PO & CSMConduct team-based "bootcamp"
      training. The objective being to create a behavior-based model of how
      the team is expected to interact. For this we used the "case study"
      from M.Cohn's book. Alternatively, this could be accomplished by
      having the team jointly attend a CSM course, observing an existing
      team in action, etc. Train PO & CSM in their respective disciplines -
      as some practice skills are required on the team
      > Team to work through a few sprintsOnsite coaching - ideally this
      would include: release planning, sprint planning, retrospective, &
      daily stand-up.
      > "Mix & match" to taste - conduct a sprint then train PO, etc.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Doug

      Agreed. That's why I started out my original response with a series
      of questions:

      When wanting Scrum training consider the following:
      1) do you want to train your team?
      2) do you want to train everyone on your team to be a coach?
      3) what is the problem you am facing?

      In general, whenever you are looking at making a change you need to
      see where you are, where you want to go and then how might you get
      there. There are many issues to consider besides the knowledge. In
      transitioning teams, a great book to read is "Managing Transitions"
      by William Bridges, btw.

      Alan Shalloway
      CEO, Net Objectives
      Achieving Enterprise and Team Agility