RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Agile for Support and Operations in 5 min

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 12, 2008
      I'm sorry it came across as rather harsh. It wasn't intended to be. No, it was not necessary, and it was not the case. Plain text does not give you the real feel for any emphasis or tone or 'harshness' or otherwise, so please don't read anything like that into it.

      You were recounting a situation that you have ... which seemed to me to be just too much work and not enough people. This boils down to a management problem of not providing enough staff; a common enough problem, and quite illogical, in my view.  Stating that it is illogical, managerially speaking, is hardly 'harsh'.

      But anyway, you are now stating the problem somewhat differently. It was not part of your first posting that perhaps the people are just letting the tasks grow to fill the time available for them. That is a different problem, bnut still fundamentally a management probelm. But in this context, I agree with your 'connection to Scrum'.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: swanson_brad@...
      Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:52:29 +0000
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Agile for Support and Operations in 5 min

      --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, Roy Morien <roymorien@. ..> wrote:

      > I often get quite puzzled about situations reported in this group.
      Sometimes they seem to me to be quite illogical; managerially speaking.

      Perhaps I didn't explain it well enough. I must say that your response
      comes across rather harsh, though. Is that really necessary?

      > Here we have the situation of a full backlog of everyday support
      tasks (implying that there is always work for everyone to do) and
      they're always higher priority than project work (implying therefore
      that the developers are fully occupied with the higher priority tasks,
      and therefore will never be able to do any of the project tasks).

      > So ... isn't this just a simple case of not enough hands to the
      pump? Where is the 'agile methods' problem here? No matter what
      development method you use, if there are not enough people to do the
      work, the work will not get done.

      It's been said that tasks tend to grow to fill the time allotted to
      them. If there is always a backlog of support tasks that are nominally
      highest priority, with no specific time reserved for projects then
      it's easy for people to say "I didn't have time to do project work
      because there is too much support to do". I think the team can get
      enough support work done AND get project work done in most cases, if
      time is reserved for project work and people are forced by necessity
      to focus and find ways to more quickly resolve the support issues.

      > The connection with agile methods / Scrum might be that by using
      Scrum, the tasks are done more quickly and at less cost, and so more
      of them can be done in a given time. But that is not stated as part of
      the discussion here in this post. So ... what IS the connection nwith
      Scrum?

      Perhaps there is no direct connection with Scrum. As I mentioned
      above, I believe there a ways to focus & prioritize a team's work, at
      least in part using Scrum/agile principles, so the team can get more
      work done than they otherwise would. I was just tried to add to a
      conversation that I thought was useful.

      Multiple prizes and the ultimate dream beach house! Take a summer road trip with Windows Live Hotmail.