Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Kanban vs. Scrum

  • Steve Berczuk
    Message 1 of 224 , Nov 2, 2008
      On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > Hello, Steve. On Saturday, November 1, 2008, at 10:40:33 AM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      >> Thinking about this some more, would the "point of contact" for the
      >> team be the Scrum Master? While not the "Manager" isn't one role of
      >> the scrum master to facilitate team interactions (internally and with
      >> the PO)?
      >
      >> While not quite the same as decision maker, I can imagine that, in the
      >> absence of the team coming to a decision, that the SM can be the one
      >> to narrow down the choices.
      >
      > Not as I understand it. The SM makes few if any decisions. Her job
      > is to get the /team/ to make decisions.

      Yes, that was my point. The team MAKES the decisions. The SM can be
      the point of contact, is also the one to help those decisions get
      made. In some ways analogous to the committee of product owners.
      (though not exactly the same). With all of those caveats, what I said
      was probably not helping the discussion ;)

      Steve

      --
      Steve Berczuk | steve@... | http://www.berczuk.com
      SCM Patterns: Effective Teamwork, Practical Integration
      Message 224 of 224 , Nov 19, 2008
        Wednesday, November 19, 2008, 3:05:08 PM, Dillon Weyer wrote:

        > In this case how is XP different to Kanban then?

        XP differs from kanban in many of the same ways as Scrum. It
        is batch pull, not continuous pull. Instead of a sprint, XP
        calls it an iteration. In XP, like scrum, but not kanban, each
        story has a high level estimate attached to it during release
        planning, which is similar, but somewhat different from
        backlog grooming in scrum.

        Doug Swartz