RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Kanban vs. Scrum

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 224 , Nov 1, 2008
      Maybe companies only have one President because they can't afford to pay more than one person a $10 million salary and $25 million in performance bonuses, especially when the share price has dropped from $75 to $2.50 and the company has made a huge loss, and will either collapse, or depend on the government to bail them out. :) And of course because the share price has collapsed that President must be compensated a few million dollars to cover the loss of value in his share options, and in his pension plan.

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: Robert_Biddle@...
      Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 08:25:04 -0400
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Kanban vs. Scrum

      Ron Jeffries wrote:

      > Does it strike you as an odd asymmetry that companies have one
      > president but many workers?

      Very interesting question.
      But there are many ways in which to interpret it.
      I think the issue is worth exploring a while.

      It hadn't struck me as odd: mostly, I think, because I don't deal
      with companies at that level. But now that you mention it, I do find it
      odd.

      Part of it comes from your wording.
      One president, many workers. Instead, for example:
      many executives, one electrician.

      Maybe they are all workers, and the role of "president" only
      requires one worker.

      I'm a little unclear on the role of president anyway. Many
      countries don't use the term in industry. And those that do use
      it do not all use it in the same way.

      And there are partnerships. And boards of directors, and other
      forms of team leadership. Families. Sports teams. Some.

      And of course things change over time. Many presidents, many
      kings, many leaders.

      But in some situations we persist in our desire for "one". So it
      seems to me that the key question is: why do we sometimes have
      this association between a single person, even in roles that
      require more work than any one person can really do?

      Lust for easy answers, even if wrong?
      Love of hierarchy?
      Monotheism? The divine right of kings?

      Over to you, Ron. All of you.

      :-)

    • Doug Swartz
      Message 224 of 224 , Nov 19, 2008
        Wednesday, November 19, 2008, 3:05:08 PM, Dillon Weyer wrote:

        > In this case how is XP different to Kanban then?

        XP differs from kanban in many of the same ways as Scrum. It
        is batch pull, not continuous pull. Instead of a sprint, XP
        calls it an iteration. In XP, like scrum, but not kanban, each
        story has a high level estimate attached to it during release
        planning, which is similar, but somewhat different from
        backlog grooming in scrum.

        Doug Swartz