RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum -- for families....

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3 3:15 PM
      Message

      Michael:

      ....  I can envision your wife and you discussing if the kids are practicing
      enough self-organization specially when it is time to go to bed; or practicing
      enough "BA" i.e. sharing, as they play with their toys or while at the dinner
      table.

      Mine *teach* me self-organization -- they self-organize all right, but only to
      satisfy their own goals, hardly ever "ours".  Also, they both believe and *really are*
      the Product Owners (specially my 3-year old).  As he says, he is:

          the boss of the world

      My wife and I work for them.  She is the ScrumMaster, and I guess I am the
      only "developer" -- I get to do all the "dirty jobs":

          take out the trash
          mown the lawn
          clean the attic
          etc.

      mb

      Message 2 of 12 , May 3 3:25 PM
        Message

        I picture my 8-year-old daughter yelling at me, “Who died and made you Product Owner?!”

        --Mike Cohn, Certified ScrumMaster

        www.userstories.com

        www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

        Message 3 of 12 , May 3 5:03 PM
          Better yet... what will be the product?
          The task of determining the family's goals, to the satisfaction of
          all participants, might be a useful exercise in itself (requiring
          each to understand the values and goals of the others.)

          Hmmm... this does pose a conundrum (also noted by some of the other
          commenters) - does the whole family "own" the backlog/deliverables?

          Does this ever happen in business - that the product owner and the
          development team are the same? I know in new product development it
          must be tempting sometimes, but it strikes me as a temptation to be
          avoided, at least in business. The differentiation in roles and
          responsibilities between Owner and Developers creates checks and
          balances in the work.

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Cohn" <mike@m...>
          wrote:
          > Michael--
          > Who will be the ScrumMaster? You or your wife? ;)

        • w6rabbit
          Message 4 of 12 , May 6 5:01 PM
            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Vizdos"
            <michael.vizdos@r...> wrote:
            > Hi all.
            >
            > Our family of four (me, my wife, and two kids -- they are young)
            is always
            > struggling with "life" activities.

            "We" consist of me, my wife, and our nine kids, ages 11 to 1.
            So I can relate to strugling with life and activities.

            > As a CSM, my wife asked me about what I do with Scrum
            > and she said, "Hey, let's try that with life at home."
            >
            > Is there anyone out there that has something documented like this
            > specifically for use by families? Is anyone
            > already doing this?

            We involve our 7 oldest, ages 11 to 3. The youngest doesn't
            actually contribute much that's meaningful. She mostly says
            things that she would have done anyway, like "eat lunch."
            But the other 6 do set meaningful goals for their days.

            > If not, let this thread serve two functions:
            >
            > 1) I am going to try this at home.
            >
            > 2) I will document stuff as it happens. This may then
            > help spread Scrum to the mainstream...
            > Or is that too lofty of a goal?

            I strongly believe that software development is
            a team sport. And Scrum really helps us achieve that.
            I think family should be even more of a team, and
            I think that scrum, and improved communication
            can help there too.

            > Anyone interested in joining me on this?

            Some problems we've had are:
            a) Some of the kids don't remember this morning, what
            goals they set yesterday morning or remember very clearly
            how they did. So we have the goal setting in the morning
            and the review in the evening.

            b) I talked about them doing this for months, but in
            practice, it doesn't happen yet unless I'm there and
            call everybody in.
            This means that the scrum is early in the morning
            before I leave for work and before they are really
            awake.

            c) We don't have sprints, yet. I expect we will,
            but I'm introducing one thing at a time.

            Feedback:
            As a result, I'm seeing them take ownership of things
            that I'have wanted them to all along.

            I heard that the other night, when I had an evening
            meeting, my 10-year old son spoke up at supper,
            "Well, it looks like we're not going to have a scrum
            with daddy, but today I ..."
            on his own initiative.

            Good luck Mike,
            Brad.
          • John Recktenwald
            Message 5 of 12 , May 6 6:49 PM
              It seems to me that Scrum is an application of constructive human
              activity to software engineering. It may be in a position now to give
              back to human activity.

              I have a life mission statement which is like the project plan or
              architectural and business vision and doesn't change very often. I
              adopted this from 'The 7 habits of highly effective people' around 1996/1997

              I go on a retreat twice a year to work on my life goals which I break
              down into short term and long term which establishes a sprint backlog
              and a product backlog. I've been doing this for at least 15 years and
              don't remember where I picked up the idea.

              A number of self help people have written about the advisability of
              establishing a do list for the day and setting one thing that you
              definitely will do that day so you will have a feeling of some progress
              or accomplishment. The daily sprint. I'm a little weak in this area.

              So, yes, I would say this is well documented but you have to pick the
              bits and pieces from a lot of sources. Steven Covey, annoying at times,
              is probably a good place to start. He has a book for families but I
              haven't read it.

              John Recktenwald