RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum -- for families....

  • Eric Chamberlain
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3 2:36 PM
      The better question: who will be the product OWNER? ;-)

      Message 2 of 12 , May 3 2:39 PM
        Mike

        I just organized moving house - and office - as a Scrum project. Does that
        count?

        Cheers

        --
        Joseph Pelrine [ | ]
        MetaProg GmbH

        "If you don't live on the edge, you're taking up too much space" -
        Doug Robinson
      • Alex Jouravlev
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3 2:40 PM
          Mike,

          Like the idea

          Good luck, and keep us posted.

          Cheers
          Alex

          Message 4 of 12 , May 3 2:54 PM
            This is a coincident. Last weekend, my boyfriend and I
            were talking about similar idea.

            We were thinking to have a "Product Backlog". This
            will consists of all the things that we really want to
            do/fix :-) in next couple years.... And whenever we
            come up with anything new, we will add it to our
            Product Backlog.

            We were thinking to have a "Sprint Backlog" to focus
            on near future, like 1-2 month from now.

            We will both be the owner. Now the question is who
            gets to be the Scrum Master? I would say we can take
            turn :-)

            We were actually discussing to mix Scrum and XP, as we
            think the 4 values of XP are good to follow not just
            in a software project, but also in real life.

            So, Michael, I will be interested in working with you
            on this.

            Taru
            --- Michael Vizdos <michael.vizdos@...>

          • Michael Dowling
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3 3:03 PM
              You know you (& your family) need a vacation when...

              :-D

              -Michael

              --

              Michael Dowling
              mdowling@...
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3 3:15 PM
                Message

                Michael:

                ....  I can envision your wife and you discussing if the kids are practicing
                enough self-organization specially when it is time to go to bed; or practicing
                enough "BA" i.e. sharing, as they play with their toys or while at the dinner
                table.

                Mine *teach* me self-organization -- they self-organize all right, but only to
                satisfy their own goals, hardly ever "ours".  Also, they both believe and *really are*
                the Product Owners (specially my 3-year old).  As he says, he is:

                    the boss of the world

                My wife and I work for them.  She is the ScrumMaster, and I guess I am the
                only "developer" -- I get to do all the "dirty jobs":

                    take out the trash
                    mown the lawn
                    clean the attic
                    etc.

                mb

                Message 7 of 12 , May 3 3:25 PM
                  Message

                  I picture my 8-year-old daughter yelling at me, “Who died and made you Product Owner?!”

                  --Mike Cohn, Certified ScrumMaster

                  www.userstories.com

                  www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3 5:03 PM
                    Better yet... what will be the product?
                    The task of determining the family's goals, to the satisfaction of
                    all participants, might be a useful exercise in itself (requiring
                    each to understand the values and goals of the others.)

                    Hmmm... this does pose a conundrum (also noted by some of the other
                    commenters) - does the whole family "own" the backlog/deliverables?

                    Does this ever happen in business - that the product owner and the
                    development team are the same? I know in new product development it
                    must be tempting sometimes, but it strikes me as a temptation to be
                    avoided, at least in business. The differentiation in roles and
                    responsibilities between Owner and Developers creates checks and
                    balances in the work.

                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Cohn" <mike@m...>
                    wrote:
                    > Michael--
                    > Who will be the ScrumMaster? You or your wife? ;)

                  • w6rabbit
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 6 5:01 PM
                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Vizdos"
                      <michael.vizdos@r...> wrote:
                      > Hi all.
                      >
                      > Our family of four (me, my wife, and two kids -- they are young)
                      is always
                      > struggling with "life" activities.

                      "We" consist of me, my wife, and our nine kids, ages 11 to 1.
                      So I can relate to strugling with life and activities.

                      > As a CSM, my wife asked me about what I do with Scrum
                      > and she said, "Hey, let's try that with life at home."
                      >
                      > Is there anyone out there that has something documented like this
                      > specifically for use by families? Is anyone
                      > already doing this?

                      We involve our 7 oldest, ages 11 to 3. The youngest doesn't
                      actually contribute much that's meaningful. She mostly says
                      things that she would have done anyway, like "eat lunch."
                      But the other 6 do set meaningful goals for their days.

                      > If not, let this thread serve two functions:
                      >
                      > 1) I am going to try this at home.
                      >
                      > 2) I will document stuff as it happens. This may then
                      > help spread Scrum to the mainstream...
                      > Or is that too lofty of a goal?

                      I strongly believe that software development is
                      a team sport. And Scrum really helps us achieve that.
                      I think family should be even more of a team, and
                      I think that scrum, and improved communication
                      can help there too.

                      > Anyone interested in joining me on this?

                      Some problems we've had are:
                      a) Some of the kids don't remember this morning, what
                      goals they set yesterday morning or remember very clearly
                      how they did. So we have the goal setting in the morning
                      and the review in the evening.

                      b) I talked about them doing this for months, but in
                      practice, it doesn't happen yet unless I'm there and
                      call everybody in.
                      This means that the scrum is early in the morning
                      before I leave for work and before they are really
                      awake.

                      c) We don't have sprints, yet. I expect we will,
                      but I'm introducing one thing at a time.

                      Feedback:
                      As a result, I'm seeing them take ownership of things
                      that I'have wanted them to all along.

                      I heard that the other night, when I had an evening
                      meeting, my 10-year old son spoke up at supper,
                      "Well, it looks like we're not going to have a scrum
                      with daddy, but today I ..."
                      on his own initiative.

                      Good luck Mike,
                      Brad.
                    • John Recktenwald
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 6 6:49 PM
                        It seems to me that Scrum is an application of constructive human
                        activity to software engineering. It may be in a position now to give
                        back to human activity.

                        I have a life mission statement which is like the project plan or
                        architectural and business vision and doesn't change very often. I
                        adopted this from 'The 7 habits of highly effective people' around 1996/1997

                        I go on a retreat twice a year to work on my life goals which I break
                        down into short term and long term which establishes a sprint backlog
                        and a product backlog. I've been doing this for at least 15 years and
                        don't remember where I picked up the idea.

                        A number of self help people have written about the advisability of
                        establishing a do list for the day and setting one thing that you
                        definitely will do that day so you will have a feeling of some progress
                        or accomplishment. The daily sprint. I'm a little weak in this area.

                        So, yes, I would say this is well documented but you have to pick the
                        bits and pieces from a lot of sources. Steven Covey, annoying at times,
                        is probably a good place to start. He has a book for families but I
                        haven't read it.

                        John Recktenwald