RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum -- for families....

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2004
      Michael--
      Who will be the ScrumMaster? You or your wife? ;)

      --Mike Cohn
      www.userstories.com

      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2004
        The better question: who will be the product OWNER? ;-)

        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2004
          Mike

          I just organized moving house - and office - as a Scrum project. Does that
          count?

          Cheers

          --
          Joseph Pelrine [ | ]
          MetaProg GmbH

          "If you don't live on the edge, you're taking up too much space" -
          Doug Robinson
        • Alex Jouravlev
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2004
            Mike,

            Like the idea

            Good luck, and keep us posted.

            Cheers
            Alex

            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2004
              This is a coincident. Last weekend, my boyfriend and I
              were talking about similar idea.

              We were thinking to have a "Product Backlog". This
              will consists of all the things that we really want to
              do/fix :-) in next couple years.... And whenever we
              come up with anything new, we will add it to our
              Product Backlog.

              We were thinking to have a "Sprint Backlog" to focus
              on near future, like 1-2 month from now.

              We will both be the owner. Now the question is who
              gets to be the Scrum Master? I would say we can take
              turn :-)

              We were actually discussing to mix Scrum and XP, as we
              think the 4 values of XP are good to follow not just
              in a software project, but also in real life.

              So, Michael, I will be interested in working with you
              on this.

              Taru
              --- Michael Vizdos <michael.vizdos@...>

            • Michael Dowling
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                You know you (& your family) need a vacation when...

                :-D

                -Michael

                --

                Michael Dowling
                mdowling@...
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                  Message

                  Michael:

                  ....  I can envision your wife and you discussing if the kids are practicing
                  enough self-organization specially when it is time to go to bed; or practicing
                  enough "BA" i.e. sharing, as they play with their toys or while at the dinner
                  table.

                  Mine *teach* me self-organization -- they self-organize all right, but only to
                  satisfy their own goals, hardly ever "ours".  Also, they both believe and *really are*
                  the Product Owners (specially my 3-year old).  As he says, he is:

                      the boss of the world

                  My wife and I work for them.  She is the ScrumMaster, and I guess I am the
                  only "developer" -- I get to do all the "dirty jobs":

                      take out the trash
                      mown the lawn
                      clean the attic
                      etc.

                  mb

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                    Message

                    I picture my 8-year-old daughter yelling at me, “Who died and made you Product Owner?!”

                    --Mike Cohn, Certified ScrumMaster

                    www.userstories.com

                    www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                      Better yet... what will be the product?
                      The task of determining the family's goals, to the satisfaction of
                      all participants, might be a useful exercise in itself (requiring
                      each to understand the values and goals of the others.)

                      Hmmm... this does pose a conundrum (also noted by some of the other
                      commenters) - does the whole family "own" the backlog/deliverables?

                      Does this ever happen in business - that the product owner and the
                      development team are the same? I know in new product development it
                      must be tempting sometimes, but it strikes me as a temptation to be
                      avoided, at least in business. The differentiation in roles and
                      responsibilities between Owner and Developers creates checks and
                      balances in the work.

                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Cohn" <mike@m...>
                      wrote:
                      > Michael--
                      > Who will be the ScrumMaster? You or your wife? ;)

                    • w6rabbit
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 6, 2004
                        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Vizdos"
                        <michael.vizdos@r...> wrote:
                        > Hi all.
                        >
                        > Our family of four (me, my wife, and two kids -- they are young)
                        is always
                        > struggling with "life" activities.

                        "We" consist of me, my wife, and our nine kids, ages 11 to 1.
                        So I can relate to strugling with life and activities.

                        > As a CSM, my wife asked me about what I do with Scrum
                        > and she said, "Hey, let's try that with life at home."
                        >
                        > Is there anyone out there that has something documented like this
                        > specifically for use by families? Is anyone
                        > already doing this?

                        We involve our 7 oldest, ages 11 to 3. The youngest doesn't
                        actually contribute much that's meaningful. She mostly says
                        things that she would have done anyway, like "eat lunch."
                        But the other 6 do set meaningful goals for their days.

                        > If not, let this thread serve two functions:
                        >
                        > 1) I am going to try this at home.
                        >
                        > 2) I will document stuff as it happens. This may then
                        > help spread Scrum to the mainstream...
                        > Or is that too lofty of a goal?

                        I strongly believe that software development is
                        a team sport. And Scrum really helps us achieve that.
                        I think family should be even more of a team, and
                        I think that scrum, and improved communication
                        can help there too.

                        > Anyone interested in joining me on this?

                        Some problems we've had are:
                        a) Some of the kids don't remember this morning, what
                        goals they set yesterday morning or remember very clearly
                        how they did. So we have the goal setting in the morning
                        and the review in the evening.

                        b) I talked about them doing this for months, but in
                        practice, it doesn't happen yet unless I'm there and
                        call everybody in.
                        This means that the scrum is early in the morning
                        before I leave for work and before they are really
                        awake.

                        c) We don't have sprints, yet. I expect we will,
                        but I'm introducing one thing at a time.

                        Feedback:
                        As a result, I'm seeing them take ownership of things
                        that I'have wanted them to all along.

                        I heard that the other night, when I had an evening
                        meeting, my 10-year old son spoke up at supper,
                        "Well, it looks like we're not going to have a scrum
                        with daddy, but today I ..."
                        on his own initiative.

                        Good luck Mike,
                        Brad.
                      • John Recktenwald
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 6, 2004
                          It seems to me that Scrum is an application of constructive human
                          activity to software engineering. It may be in a position now to give
                          back to human activity.

                          I have a life mission statement which is like the project plan or
                          architectural and business vision and doesn't change very often. I
                          adopted this from 'The 7 habits of highly effective people' around 1996/1997

                          I go on a retreat twice a year to work on my life goals which I break
                          down into short term and long term which establishes a sprint backlog
                          and a product backlog. I've been doing this for at least 15 years and
                          don't remember where I picked up the idea.

                          A number of self help people have written about the advisability of
                          establishing a do list for the day and setting one thing that you
                          definitely will do that day so you will have a feeling of some progress
                          or accomplishment. The daily sprint. I'm a little weak in this area.

                          So, yes, I would say this is well documented but you have to pick the
                          bits and pieces from a lot of sources. Steven Covey, annoying at times,
                          is probably a good place to start. He has a book for families but I
                          haven't read it.

                          John Recktenwald