Scrum -- for families....

  • Michael Vizdos
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2004
      Hi all.

      I have an idea I'd like to share with this group.

      Don't know if this is just for laughs (I hope not) but....

      Our family of four (me, my wife, and two kids -- they are young) is always
      struggling with "life" activities. Feels like sometimes we are spinning our
      wheels. Sounds familiar on some IT projects I have been involved with.
      This is probably the norm for most families out there.

      My wife has tried different "systems" in the past to try to get things
      planned in life -- but usually they are only about one person in the family
      doing something, not the family as a "team."

      See where I am going with this???

      As a CSM, my wife asked me about what I do with Scrum [heh, we DO
      communicate!] and she said, "Hey, let's try that with life at home." I
      really think this was her way of getting me more involved in trying to plan
      our crazy lives (smile). So here it is.

      Is there anyone out there that has something documented like this
      specifically for use by families? I know, I know, I know..... Ken and
      others say this can be applied outside of our IT work lives. Is anyone
      already doing this?

      If not, let this thread serve two functions:

      1) I am going to try this at home. Um... Should say "we". Outside of work.
      Using non-IT or technical terms.

      2) I will document stuff as it happens. Maybe, just maybe, I can use this
      as a springboard for my next book (once I finish the book on the EUP
      (www.enterpriseunifiedprocess.info) that I am co-authoring). This may then
      help spread Scrum to the mainstream... Or is that too lofty of a goal?

      Dumb idea? Already "taken" -- if so, where can I build on it?

      Anyone interested in joining me on this?

      Thank you,

      - mike v.
    • Mike Cohn
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2004
        Michael--
        Who will be the ScrumMaster? You or your wife? ;)

        --Mike Cohn
        www.userstories.com

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Eric Chamberlain
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2004
          The better question: who will be the product OWNER? ;-)

          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2004
            Mike

            I just organized moving house - and office - as a Scrum project. Does that
            count?

            Cheers

            --
            Joseph Pelrine [ | ]
            MetaProg GmbH

            "If you don't live on the edge, you're taking up too much space" -
            Doug Robinson
          • Alex Jouravlev
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2004
              Mike,

              Like the idea

              Good luck, and keep us posted.

              Cheers
              Alex

              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                This is a coincident. Last weekend, my boyfriend and I
                were talking about similar idea.

                We were thinking to have a "Product Backlog". This
                will consists of all the things that we really want to
                do/fix :-) in next couple years.... And whenever we
                come up with anything new, we will add it to our
                Product Backlog.

                We were thinking to have a "Sprint Backlog" to focus
                on near future, like 1-2 month from now.

                We will both be the owner. Now the question is who
                gets to be the Scrum Master? I would say we can take
                turn :-)

                We were actually discussing to mix Scrum and XP, as we
                think the 4 values of XP are good to follow not just
                in a software project, but also in real life.

                So, Michael, I will be interested in working with you
                on this.

                Taru
                --- Michael Vizdos <michael.vizdos@...>

              • Michael Dowling
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                  You know you (& your family) need a vacation when...

                  :-D

                  -Michael

                  --

                  Michael Dowling
                  mdowling@...
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                    Message

                    Michael:

                    ....  I can envision your wife and you discussing if the kids are practicing
                    enough self-organization specially when it is time to go to bed; or practicing
                    enough "BA" i.e. sharing, as they play with their toys or while at the dinner
                    table.

                    Mine *teach* me self-organization -- they self-organize all right, but only to
                    satisfy their own goals, hardly ever "ours".  Also, they both believe and *really are*
                    the Product Owners (specially my 3-year old).  As he says, he is:

                        the boss of the world

                    My wife and I work for them.  She is the ScrumMaster, and I guess I am the
                    only "developer" -- I get to do all the "dirty jobs":

                        take out the trash
                        mown the lawn
                        clean the attic
                        etc.

                    mb

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                      Message

                      I picture my 8-year-old daughter yelling at me, “Who died and made you Product Owner?!”

                      --Mike Cohn, Certified ScrumMaster

                      www.userstories.com

                      www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                        Better yet... what will be the product?
                        The task of determining the family's goals, to the satisfaction of
                        all participants, might be a useful exercise in itself (requiring
                        each to understand the values and goals of the others.)

                        Hmmm... this does pose a conundrum (also noted by some of the other
                        commenters) - does the whole family "own" the backlog/deliverables?

                        Does this ever happen in business - that the product owner and the
                        development team are the same? I know in new product development it
                        must be tempting sometimes, but it strikes me as a temptation to be
                        avoided, at least in business. The differentiation in roles and
                        responsibilities between Owner and Developers creates checks and
                        balances in the work.

                        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Cohn" <mike@m...>
                        wrote:
                        > Michael--
                        > Who will be the ScrumMaster? You or your wife? ;)

                      • w6rabbit
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 6, 2004
                          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Vizdos"
                          <michael.vizdos@r...> wrote:
                          > Hi all.
                          >
                          > Our family of four (me, my wife, and two kids -- they are young)
                          is always
                          > struggling with "life" activities.

                          "We" consist of me, my wife, and our nine kids, ages 11 to 1.
                          So I can relate to strugling with life and activities.

                          > As a CSM, my wife asked me about what I do with Scrum
                          > and she said, "Hey, let's try that with life at home."
                          >
                          > Is there anyone out there that has something documented like this
                          > specifically for use by families? Is anyone
                          > already doing this?

                          We involve our 7 oldest, ages 11 to 3. The youngest doesn't
                          actually contribute much that's meaningful. She mostly says
                          things that she would have done anyway, like "eat lunch."
                          But the other 6 do set meaningful goals for their days.

                          > If not, let this thread serve two functions:
                          >
                          > 1) I am going to try this at home.
                          >
                          > 2) I will document stuff as it happens. This may then
                          > help spread Scrum to the mainstream...
                          > Or is that too lofty of a goal?

                          I strongly believe that software development is
                          a team sport. And Scrum really helps us achieve that.
                          I think family should be even more of a team, and
                          I think that scrum, and improved communication
                          can help there too.

                          > Anyone interested in joining me on this?

                          Some problems we've had are:
                          a) Some of the kids don't remember this morning, what
                          goals they set yesterday morning or remember very clearly
                          how they did. So we have the goal setting in the morning
                          and the review in the evening.

                          b) I talked about them doing this for months, but in
                          practice, it doesn't happen yet unless I'm there and
                          call everybody in.
                          This means that the scrum is early in the morning
                          before I leave for work and before they are really
                          awake.

                          c) We don't have sprints, yet. I expect we will,
                          but I'm introducing one thing at a time.

                          Feedback:
                          As a result, I'm seeing them take ownership of things
                          that I'have wanted them to all along.

                          I heard that the other night, when I had an evening
                          meeting, my 10-year old son spoke up at supper,
                          "Well, it looks like we're not going to have a scrum
                          with daddy, but today I ..."
                          on his own initiative.

                          Good luck Mike,
                          Brad.
                        • John Recktenwald
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 6, 2004
                            It seems to me that Scrum is an application of constructive human
                            activity to software engineering. It may be in a position now to give
                            back to human activity.

                            I have a life mission statement which is like the project plan or
                            architectural and business vision and doesn't change very often. I
                            adopted this from 'The 7 habits of highly effective people' around 1996/1997

                            I go on a retreat twice a year to work on my life goals which I break
                            down into short term and long term which establishes a sprint backlog
                            and a product backlog. I've been doing this for at least 15 years and
                            don't remember where I picked up the idea.

                            A number of self help people have written about the advisability of
                            establishing a do list for the day and setting one thing that you
                            definitely will do that day so you will have a feeling of some progress
                            or accomplishment. The daily sprint. I'm a little weak in this area.

                            So, yes, I would say this is well documented but you have to pick the
                            bits and pieces from a lot of sources. Steven Covey, annoying at times,
                            is probably a good place to start. He has a book for families but I
                            haven't read it.

                            John Recktenwald