RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum and eXtremeProgramming

  • virman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2000
      You are absolutely right concerning backlog management. I sometimes use the word "silly" about the rules (like chickens and pigs), because these little rules are really major bulwarks in the Scrum approach. However, if we start a training session by going over the list of rules, everyone glazes and turns off. If we say, this is the philosophy, the theory ... and, by the way, here is a silly rule that enforces it, management gets it. This avoids political discussions, and is just following one of those rules regarding Scrum from which all the benefits derive.

      Ken Schwaber
    • Jeffrey P. Vasquez
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 19, 2000
        > You are absolutely right concerning backlog management. I
        > sometimes use the word "silly" about the rules (like chickens
        > and pigs), because these little rules are really major
        > bulwarks in the Scrum approach. However, if we start a
        > training session by going over the list of rules, everyone
        > glazes and turns off. If we say, this is the philosophy, the
        > theory ... and, by the way, here is a silly rule that
        > enforces it, management gets it. This avoids political
        > discussions, and is just following one of those rules
        > regarding Scrum from which all the benefits derive.
        > Ken Schwaber

        Hey, that chicken and pig joke predates Moses and for good reasons. ;-)

        My training sessions (or expositions or sermons as they've been described)
        never even broach the concept of rules or politics of ego. I simply talk
        about reviews concluding with approvals committing to buy-in leading to
        consequences for breach of the agreement by either party. For some reason
        the suits in marketing, P/D, etc. seem to understand those terms better and
        the sheer drama of their heads nodding knowingly seems to inspire the
        engineers. Just my $.02.

        Regards,
        Jeffrey