Re: What about this? I'm already dodging for cover !

  • Tom Mellor
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 27, 2008
      Re: What about this? I'm already dodging for cover !

      Ken initially created the CSM as a bit of a thumb-of-the-nose to PMI.  He never intended the course to be about teaching people to be ScrumMasters; he wanted people to understand ("master") the concepts, principles, and rules of Scrum.  Of course, no one, including Ken, predicted Scrum would become so widely popular.  Based upon the immense growth of the CSM, it was the decision of the Scrum Alliance Board of Directors to put a level of credibility around the certification through a testing process - an element that was conspicuously missing.  That decision arose plainly and simply out of a recognition of demand by many organizations and people to put an element of integrity to the certification.

      The CSM course is meant to provide the fundamentals of Scrum to attendees.  If one can elaborate and articulate in writing on how s/he has used Scrum after having been a CSM for at least a year, s/he can apply to become a CSP.  The CSP is meant to demonstrate a higher level of understanding and experience - something an organization might value in a person more so than simply the CSM.

      40,000 certifications have been granted by the Scrum Alliance since it was formed, with 50,000 to be reached in 2009.  Like many things that evolve from an infancy, so has Scrum, and rapidly so.  Those of us on the Scrum Alliance Board have a genuine concern to act responsibly in the interest of the organization and its members, and respond to the Scrum community's needs and desires.  That also means promoting the use of Scrum and helping people who use it to improve their working lives and provide satisfying products to their customers.

      Tom Mellor
      Certified Scrum Trainer
      Member - Scrum Alliance Board of Directors
      tom.mellor.c5t2@...
      309.846.4899 (Work and Cell)

    • aacockburn
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 27, 2008
        Thanks for the clarification, Tom.

        I don't think I dare ask by what cicuitous logic you concluded
        that the "Certified *ScrumMaster*" course should be to
        "provide the fundamentals of Scrum" as opposed to
        "train ScrumMasters".

        Alistair

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mellor"
        <tom.mellor.c5t2@...> wrote:

        > Ken initially created the CSM as a bit of a thumb-of-the-nose to
        PMI.
        > He never intended the course to be about teaching people to be
        > ScrumMasters; he wanted people to understand ("master") the
        concepts,
        > principles, and rules of Scrum. Of course, no one, including Ken,
        > predicted Scrum would become so widely popular. Based upon the
        immense
        > growth of the CSM, it was the decision of the Scrum Alliance Board
        of
        > Directors to put a level of credibility around the certification
        through
        > a testing process - an element that was conspicuously missing. That
        > decision arose plainly and simply out of a recognition of demand by
        many
        > organizations and people to put an element of integrity to the
        > certification.
        >
        > The CSM course is meant to provide the fundamentals of Scrum to
        > attendees. If one can elaborate and articulate in writing on how
        s/he
        > has used Scrum after having been a CSM for at least a year, s/he can
        > apply to become a CSP. The CSP is meant to demonstrate a higher
        level
        > of understanding and experience - something an organization might
        value
        > in a person more so than simply the CSM.
        >
        > 40,000 certifications have been granted by the Scrum Alliance since
        it
        > was formed, with 50,000 to be reached in 2009. Like many things
        that
        > evolve from an infancy, so has Scrum, and rapidly so. Those of us
        on
        > the Scrum Alliance Board have a genuine concern to act responsibly
        in
        > the interest of the organization and its members, and respond to the
        > Scrum community's needs and desires. That also means promoting the
        use
        > of Scrum and helping people who use it to improve their working
        lives
        > and provide satisfying products to their customers.
        >
        > Tom Mellor
        > Certified Scrum Trainer
        > Member - Scrum Alliance Board of Directors
        > tom.mellor.c5t2@...
        > 309.846.4899 (Work and Cell)

      • Ilja Preuß
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 28, 2008
          2008/10/28 aacockburn <acockburn@...>:
          >> What if instead of a test, a position paper was required?
          >
          > I'm a big fan of letting people be honest or lie, but speak for
          > themselves.
          >
          > I don't think a test is needed. If a person writes,
          > "I know the basics of Scrum and am interested in learning to hold
          > the ScrumMaster role",
          > that is already sufficient (in my book).
          >
          > If they choose to lie, that will be the minority and maybe they have
          > a reason for it (I attended a number of courses in college without
          > having the declared prerequisites).
          >
          > It will in any case eliminate the group of people who don't know what
          > the course is intended for or why they are there. Writing the above
          > sentence already obliges them to recognize the prerequisites of the
          > course and its intention.

          Point taken. And I *love* your idea about a bootcamp! I hope someone
          is listening...

          Regards, Ilja