Scrum is not a process...

  • Mike Sutton
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 24, 2008
      So why are we so focused on the process issues on this forum.

      Can we have a themed day where we talk about the people in Scrum...

      for example - let us share experiences of great Product Owners we have
      met OR fantastic teams, Scrum Masters etc.

      Or celebrate the companies that have trusted their fate to Scrum,
      supported it and survived.

      Who is with me?

      Here's one: The head of development at a UK telecoms company who
      fought the battles with management to introduce Scrum , struggled
      through the pain of confronting low lying organisational crap and
      survived. His teams delivered solutions that gave the organisation
      about £60 million of business value.

      mike.
      csm.csp.cspo.certified.certifiable.
    • Simon Kirk
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2008
        Tales of great Product Owners would be inspirational (and perhaps
        useful, in that they could provide one with stories to help ones own
        Product Owners understand their role better).

        I have no great tales to share myself just yet, both mine and my
        organisation's are still being written.

        On the other hand, without wishing to hijack your thread too much
        Mike, here's another people-oriented idea: sharing when and why
        people's "light bulb" moment about Scrum occurred. You know, that
        moment when you suddenly it all made sense.

        Mine was when first reading one of Ken's first two books. Suddenly
        here was a sensible way of working that reinforced my own opinions on
        the best way to grow software. It felt great to know I wasn't crazy
        (or if I was, I wasn't the only one ;)

        Cheers,
        Simon

        ps. If you haven't had your light-bulb moment yet, perhaps such tales
        of celebration might help you have one.

        On 24 Oct 2008, at 12:57, Mike Sutton wrote:

        > So why are we so focused on the process issues on this forum.
        >
        > Can we have a themed day where we talk about the people in Scrum...
        >
        > for example - let us share experiences of great Product Owners we have
        > met OR fantastic teams, Scrum Masters etc.
        >
        > Or celebrate the companies that have trusted their fate to Scrum,
        > supported it and survived.
        >
        > Who is with me?
        >
        > Here's one: The head of development at a UK telecoms company who
        > fought the battles with management to introduce Scrum , struggled
        > through the pain of confronting low lying organisational crap and
        > survived. His teams delivered solutions that gave the organisation
        > about £60 million of business value.
        >
        > mike.
        > csm.csp.cspo.certified.certifiable.

        > ! Groups Links

        [|]
      • aacockburn
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2008
          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Sutton"
          <mike.sutton@...> wrote:

          > So why are we so focused on the process issues on this forum.

          Simply lovely, Mike.

          Thank you,
          Alistair
        • Tobias Mayer
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 26, 2008
            Further hi-jacking Mike's thread... my own aha! moment came in the CSM class with Ken Schwaber and Kert Peterson.  It was during the MLB Tix exercise when my team had overcommitted and I was trying to justify it.  I realized I had been lying in real life to the product managers I worked with, making commitments on behalf of my team that I had no idea if we could keep.

            I wish I could say that after that day I never did that again, but I did.  Different job, different context.  I was suckered into lying by the promise of lots of money.  After it all went to pieces I remembered my aha! moment.  And after that day I never did it again.  I am a bit of a slow learner.

            Aha! moments can be smaller of course.  I think a young woman had one on my recent CSM course in Buenos Aires.  After a particular exercise to illustrate the madness of distributed teams she was complaining that (as an off-site team member) she had no idea what was going on.  She kept saying "you didn't tell me".  I responded "you didn't ask".  She caught herself in mid-protest and there was this second of silence, then I saw a light bulb appear above her head.

            Magic moments :-)

            Tobias

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Simon Kirk <scrum@...> wrote:

            > Tales of great Product Owners would be inspirational (and perhaps
            > useful, in that they could provide one with stories to help ones own
            > Product Owners understand their role better).
            >
            > I have no great tales to share myself just yet, both mine and my
            > organisation's are still being written.
            >
            > On the other hand, without wishing to hijack your thread too much
            > Mike, here's another people-oriented idea: sharing when and why
            > people's "light bulb" moment about Scrum occurred. You know, that
            > moment when you suddenly it all made sense.
            >
            > Mine was when first reading one of Ken's first two books. Suddenly
            > here was a sensible way of working that reinforced my own opinions on
            > the best way to grow software. It felt great to know I wasn't crazy
            > (or if I was, I wasn't the only one ;)
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Simon
            >
            > ps. If you haven't had your light-bulb moment yet, perhaps such tales
            > of celebration might help you have one.
            >
            > On 24 Oct 2008, at 12:57, Mike Sutton wrote:
            >
            > > So why are we so focused on the process issues on this forum.
            > >
            > > Can we have a themed day where we talk about the people in Scrum...
            > >
            > > for example - let us share experiences of great Product Owners we have
            > > met OR fantastic teams, Scrum Masters etc.
            > >
            > > Or celebrate the companies that have trusted their fate to Scrum,
            > > supported it and survived.
            > >
            > > Who is with me?
            > >
            > > Here's one: The head of development at a UK telecoms company who
            > > fought the battles with management to introduce Scrum , struggled
            > > through the pain of confronting low lying organisational crap and
            > > survived. His teams delivered solutions that gave the organisation
            > > about £60 million of business value.
            > >
            > > mike.
            > > csm.csp.cspo.certified.certifiable.

            > > ! Groups Links
            > >

            > [|]

          • Angela Druckman
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 27, 2008
              I like that idea Mike -

              One of my current PO's, I can honestly say, is the best I have ever worked with.  He is great with stakeholders, has deep understanding of the product and has our feature set planned well into next year (via a product roadmap).

              I learned two lessons working with this great guy:

              1. Don't mistake an inexperienced PO for a bad PO.  PO's deserve a learning curve too and as ScrumMaster you should be helping them
              2. Don't stereotype and make assumptions.  This particular guy has worked for the same employer for 20+ years and, when he is not being a PO, he is actually a DBA.  But he is one of the most Agile thinkers in the organization and actually very good working directly with the customer.

              Many people said he was the wrong person for the job when he started as PO, but time has proven otherwise.  I am lucky to have such a multi-talented individual and I know it!

                  --Angela

              Tales of great Product Owners would be inspirational (and perhaps
              useful, in that they could provide one with stories to help ones own
              Product Owners understand their role better).

              I have no great tales to share myself just yet, both mine and my
              organisation' s are still being written.

              On the other hand, without wishing to hijack your thread too much
              Mike, here's another people-oriented idea: sharing when and why
              people's "light bulb" moment about Scrum occurred. You know, that
              moment when you suddenly it all made sense..

              Mine was when first reading one of Ken's first two books. Suddenly
              here was a sensible way of working that reinforced my own opinions on
              the best way to grow software. It felt great to know I wasn't crazy
              (or if I was, I wasn't the only one ;)

              Cheers,
              Simon

              ps. If you haven't had your light-bulb moment yet, perhaps such tales
              of celebration might help you have one.

              On 24 Oct 2008, at 12:57, Mike Sutton wrote:

              > So why are we so focused on the process issues on this forum.
              >
              > Can we have a themed day where we talk about the people in Scrum...
              >
              > for example - let us share experiences of great Product Owners we have
              > met OR fantastic teams, Scrum Masters etc.
              >
              > Or celebrate the companies that have trusted their fate to Scrum,
              > supported it and survived.
              >
              > Who is with me?
              >
              > Here's one: The head of development at a UK telecoms company who
              > fought the battles with management to introduce Scrum , struggled
              > through the pain of confronting low lying organisational crap and
              > survived. His teams delivered solutions that gave the organisation
              > about £60 million of business value.
              >
              > mike.
              > csm.csp.cspo. certified. certifiable.

              > ! Groups Links