Re: on pigs and chickens

  • w6rabbit
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26, 2004
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Roberts, David J (CNSP
      N6124V13)" <roberts.david@c...> wrote:
      > A Pig to me is someone who gets dirty.
      8:-)

      > I also think that the idea in scrum is that the team must be
      accountable,
      > not one individual. I realize most companies think that the buck
      has to stop
      > somewhere.

      Good point. That's an important distiction,
      and I'm not sure I've always made it.

      Thanks,
      Brad.
    • w6rabbit
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26, 2004
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gordon
        <sagordon@a...> wrote:
        > Can we deduce from your email name, that you are neither pig nor
        chicken, but just a rabbit? ;-)

        8:-)

        Fair question.
        I've had the call name "White Rabbit" for
        so long (since before the internet) that I
        don't remember exactly where it came from.

        Thanks,
        Brad.
      • w6rabbit
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 26, 2004
          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ayerst, Tom"
          <Tom.Ayerst@d...> wrote:
          > Brad,
          >
          > I assume from your description that this is
          > a technique for integrating the work of a
          > scrum team (that doesn't have a project manager,
          > as such) with other, non-scrum teams (that do).
          > Is that right?

          Hmm.
          We have two project managers responsible for
          overseeing all the projects and allocating
          resources among them.
          We have several senior developers, any of which
          might be a team lead for an ad hoc project.
          We have two long-term projects.
          I lead one of those long-term projects.

          I've been introducing SCRUM slowly.
          We started with the Daily meetings six months
          ago. That was easy to sell because it doesn't
          require any real changes to how they work. Just
          show up.
          The other team lead showed up for a while, then
          dropped out.
          A month ago I started noising about that we were
          only using half of SCRUM, that we needed to start
          thinking about using sprints as well. The
          project managers jumped on board immediately.
          "Anything that gives us more stability would
          be a good thing."
          We are starting our second sprint today.

          So, all teams have a project manager.
          One team has sprints, (now, finally.)
          At least one team is stable for the length of
          the sprint.

          To sum up, this is a method to keep people
          up to speed on the project that they were
          working on last month or might be on next month.

          > It sounds like its working so that's definitely a good thing.

          Good point. 8:-)
          It is working very well for us.

          Thanks,
          Brad.