Has anyone done sprint planning in Second Life?

  • michele_sliger
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
      Looking for someone whose company has an island in Second Life, and
      has used a virtual room there for sprint or release planning. Anybody?

      -Michele
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
        Hello, michele_sliger. On Friday, October 3, 2008, at 12:04:36 AM,
        you wrote:

        > Looking for someone whose company has an island in Second Life, and
        > has used a virtual room there for sprint or release planning. Anybody?

        I have a presence in SL and have used it a lot. It's hard to see how
        using a room there would be particularly good for planning.

        The best I can see that you could do would be to have a web page up
        on a media prim, and be using voice chat. You could do just as well
        or better with web browsers and Skype or similar conference call.

        If you do find out anything interesting, I'd love to hear about it.

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
        -- Albert Einstein
      • michele_sliger
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
          Thanks, Ron. I've not been in Second Life, but I'm very curious to see
          if having an avatar affects our interactions and involvement, and
          might be a positive way to virtually join a geographically dispersed
          team.

          As you've been active in SL, can you tell me if you've noticed a
          difference in the level of focus or engagement of others when you
          gather in a group to discuss something? Do you feel that folks are
          more engaged than if they were sans avatar and just on their phones?

          -Michele

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
            Hello, michele_sliger. On Friday, October 3, 2008, at 12:59:35 PM,
            you wrote:

            > Thanks, Ron. I've not been in Second Life, but I'm very curious to see
            > if having an avatar affects our interactions and involvement, and
            > might be a positive way to virtually join a geographically dispersed
            > team.

            > As you've been active in SL, can you tell me if you've noticed a
            > difference in the level of focus or engagement of others when you
            > gather in a group to discuss something? Do you feel that folks are
            > more engaged than if they were sans avatar and just on their phones?

            I actually think it is easier to listen to someone talking when you
            see their avatar, even if their avatar is a wolf with wings.

            On the other hand, there is built-in instant messages, which provide
            for cross-talk. That could be good and could be bad.

            It would be fun to try and see what happens. It's hard to imagine
            anything MORE boring than a conference call, so it won't likely be
            worse. :)

            www.xprogramming.com/blog
            My advice is to do it by the book, get good at the practices, then do as
            you will. Many people want to skip to step three. How do they know?
          • David H.
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
              On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
              > Hello, michele_sliger. On Friday, October 3, 2008, at 12:59:35 PM,
              > you wrote:
              >
              >> Thanks, Ron. I've not been in Second Life, but I'm very curious to see
              >> if having an avatar affects our interactions and involvement, and
              >> might be a positive way to virtually join a geographically dispersed
              >> team.
              >
              >> As you've been active in SL, can you tell me if you've noticed a
              >> difference in the level of focus or engagement of others when you
              >> gather in a group to discuss something? Do you feel that folks are
              >> more engaged than if they were sans avatar and just on their phones?
              >
              > I actually think it is easier to listen to someone talking when you
              > see their avatar, even if their avatar is a wolf with wings.

              Interesting, might I ask why? I gave second life a try and I have to
              admit that my personal perception of it is that itis a nice toy, but
              that is about it. Most of it is crap (in my eyes) and I sincerely do
              not understand everybody's fascination with it.

              > It would be fun to try and see what happens. It's hard to imagine
              > anything MORE boring than a conference call, so it won't likely be
              > worse. :)

              Hrnn.. maybe I have not been on enough in my life but I rarely find
              them boring :)

              -d

              benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
                Hello, David. On Friday, October 3, 2008, at 4:43:36 PM, you
                wrote:

                >> I actually think it is easier to listen to someone talking when you
                >> see their avatar, even if their avatar is a wolf with wings.

                > Interesting, might I ask why?

                Because there is something to look at while you listen, instead of
                listening and surfing or whatever people do on conf calls.

                > I gave second life a try and I have to
                > admit that my personal perception of it is that itis a nice toy, but
                > that is about it. Most of it is crap (in my eyes) and I sincerely do
                > not understand everybody's fascination with it.

                OK.

                >> It would be fun to try and see what happens. It's hard to imagine
                >> anything MORE boring than a conference call, so it won't likely be
                >> worse. :)

                > Hrnn.. maybe I have not been on enough in my life but I rarely find
                > them boring :)

                You're either easily entertained or having a much better run of
                conference calls than I have had. :)

                www.xprogramming.com/blog
                Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself.
                (I am large, I contain multitudes.) --Walt Whitman
              • michele_sliger
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
                  IBM has an island there, and I've read that they have meetings in
                  virtual conference rooms. Avatars must have a human form and come in
                  business casual dress -- no wolfs or other creatures.

                  NPR's "Science Fridays" program also broadcasts in Second Life.

                  I think it's worth learning more about. Anything that might help
                  non-collocated teams.

                  For more fun reading on this see item #9 here:
                  http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/michael/blog/2007/07/top-10-transhumanist-technologies/

                  -Michele
                  ps. thanks, Ron, for confirming the use of avatars is more compelling
                  than a disembodied voice on a phone.

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David H." <dmalloc@...> wrote:

                  > On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
                  > > Hello, michele_sliger. On Friday, October 3, 2008, at 12:59:35 PM,
                  > > you wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Thanks, Ron. I've not been in Second Life, but I'm very curious
                  to see
                  > >> if having an avatar affects our interactions and involvement, and
                  > >> might be a positive way to virtually join a geographically dispersed
                  > >> team.
                  > >
                  > >> As you've been active in SL, can you tell me if you've noticed a
                  > >> difference in the level of focus or engagement of others when you
                  > >> gather in a group to discuss something? Do you feel that folks are
                  > >> more engaged than if they were sans avatar and just on their phones?
                  > >
                  > > I actually think it is easier to listen to someone talking when you
                  > > see their avatar, even if their avatar is a wolf with wings.
                  > >
                  > Interesting, might I ask why? I gave second life a try and I have to
                  > admit that my personal perception of it is that itis a nice toy, but
                  > that is about it. Most of it is crap (in my eyes) and I sincerely do
                  > not understand everybody's fascination with it.
                  >
                  > > It would be fun to try and see what happens. It's hard to imagine
                  > > anything MORE boring than a conference call, so it won't likely be
                  > > worse. :)
                  > >
                  > Hrnn.. maybe I have not been on enough in my life but I rarely find
                  > them boring :)
                  >
                  > -d
                  >
                  > --
                  > Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
                  > Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail
                  accounts.

                  > "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
                  > benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

                • andybrandt_dot_net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 4, 2008
                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "michele_sliger"
                    <michele_sliger@...> wrote:

                    > Looking for someone whose company has an island in Second Life, and
                    > has used a virtual room there for sprint or release planning. Anybody?

                    I have a presence in SL and I've invested some time into SL
                    specifically with the purpose of seeing if I could use it for Scrum.
                    My conclusion, though, is that it is way way better to have the team
                    in one room during any meeting - and do video conferencing with Skype
                    to client if they can't be here (which is the norm). Someone here said
                    it is good to have an avatar to look at when listening - I think it is
                    much better to see someone's face.

                    Best regards,
                    Andy

                    http://www.codesprinters.com/
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 5, 2008
                      Hello, michele_sliger. On Friday, October 3, 2008, at 8:56:31 PM,
                      you wrote:

                      > IBM has an island there, and I've read that they have meetings in
                      > virtual conference rooms. Avatars must have a human form and come in
                      > business casual dress -- no wolfs or other creatures.

                      Too bad. Some of the best people are creatures.

                      > NPR's "Science Fridays" program also broadcasts in Second Life.

                      > I think it's worth learning more about. Anything that might help
                      > non-collocated teams.

                      It's interesting and I enjoy it a lot. However, I'm not at all
                      convinced that it's a good place for meetings.

                      > For more fun reading on this see item #9 here:
                      > http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/michael/blog/2007/07/top-10-transhumanist-technologies/

                      Thanks,

                      www.xprogramming.com/blog
                      You are to act in the light of experience as guided by intelligence.
                      -- Nero Wolfe