Re: Application Framework and database design

  • wfc_85283
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2008
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Deslauriers"

      http://www.amazon.com/Agile-Software-Development-Scrum/dp/0130676349/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222923075&sr=8-2

      > http://tinyurl.com/scrumbook
      >
      > Man, it's getting expensive. Hope they do another printing, I'm
      running out
      > of copies to give out at work.
      >
      > It's got a great, cookbook approach and it's my bible for a lot of
      things.
      > Yes, even better than the new MS Press book.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Eric D
      >
      > On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:30 AM, wfc_85283 <garvinpromo@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I'm new to Scrum so please be patient.
      > >
      > > Being an old waterfall guy, I'm accustomed to planning the application
      > > framework (common objects, inheritance structure, error processing,
      > > ect.) and designing the database up front.
      > >
      > > To add to the complexity, we are outsourcing the development. I am
      > > the Product Owner. The Scrum Master and the Team are outsourced and
      > > do not have strong industry knowledge or a good understanding of our
      > > day to day operations.
      > >
      > > Our application incorporates 24 functional areas. It is my
      > > understanding that each Sprint within the Scrum addresses a functional
      > > area or a subset of the stories within a functional area.
      > >
      > > It sounds to me like we are going to end up with a bunch of objects
      > > pieced together and a database that is not all that relational. Or as
      > > each new Sprint is implemented, we will need to rework other functions
      > > and redesign the database.
      > >
      > > I've got the User Stories for the first Sprint complete and the Team
      > > wants to get started. Are we missing a step?
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance for your help.
      > >
      > > Bill
      > >

      > --
      > Eric D
      > 08 K1200S Tricolor (phreowww)
      > 06 Husqvarna TE610

      Eric. I'll get the book. Thanks.
    • chuckspublicprofile
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2008
        I've also found this short book very useful and practical... more of a
        "scrum implementation tips" book than a "learn scrum" book.

        http://www.amazon.com/Scrum-Trenches-Enterprise-Software-Development/dp/1430322640

        Charles

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "wfc_85283" <garvinpromo@...> > >

      • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008
          I'm sure that Ken is overjoyed to hear his work referred to as a cookbook.

          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          From: "chuckspublicprofile" <chuck-lists2@...>
          Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 17:23:46 -0000
          To: <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>