Re: [scrumdevelopment] Stories in the context of porting projects?

  • Gerard Meszaros
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29 10:54 PM
      We ported a billing system from Smalltalk to Java. One of the really interesting outcomes was that we ended up with less than half the original coded ported. We expected some of the code to be left behind because it was tightly coupled to the GUI and reporting frameworks but I'm talking about half the so-called business logic code.

      Our approach involved having a BA prepare tests that they validated by running against the Smalltalk system and then we ran them against the emerging Java. We only ported code when a functional test was failing. (That's why we only ported half the code!)

      You can find more details in the paper we presented at Agile United 2004 available at http://testdrivenporting.xunitpatterns.com

      Best,

      Gerard

      --
      Gerard Meszaros
      Lean/Agile Coach

      Author of the Jolt Productivity Award winning book "xUnit Test Patterns - Refactoring Test Code". Learn more at http://xunitpatterns.com/index.html

      Mark Levison wrote:
      One team I'm coaching is porting (and rewriting) the functionality of an existing back-end system from C++ to Java. They're having trouble coming up with real stories that aren't just larger tasks. Does anyone have experience in this area?

      In addition some developers are coming up with tasks like: port an 850 line class - for which the consensus estimate is 4-5 days. I'm struggling to find ways to help them break these down into smaller more manageable tasks. The best idea I've had so far is: describe the functionality of the existing class (i.e. enumerate a series of tests) and then use that to create smaller tasks.

      Clearly I'm encouraging them to use TDD to rewrite the classes from scratch but am getting some pushback. Example: that 4500 line class is just a implementation of a standard graph theory algorithm, the current implementation works and its tough to test.

      Any thoughts - short of using a cattle prod? Ok that will be my last resort.

      Cheers
      Mark Levison

      --
      Gerard Meszaros